Alton Towers air rollercoaster breaks down.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a sad world we live in when you can't get on a fairground ride any more, get disorientated & have the "beejeezus" scared out of you without the fear of getting stuck or seriously injured...

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sad indeed. @itconor, how did the rides affect your BG levels? How did you feel pre-ride and post-ride?

alaska

I went to Alton Towers last year. Really enjoyed it but yes, if I'd been stuck on a ride for 2 hours, that could've become hairy.

I took glucose tablets with me (which I'd highly recommend) so I should have been ok if there had been a stopped ride. I didn't have my testing kit so would've had to watch for hypo symptoms, which could be harder in an anxious situation.

However, this is hypothetical as my day went without any hitches.

There's quite a bit of walking between rides so that needs to be taken into account. I tested before each of the bigger/longer rides.

The night after, I think I had lower sugar levels than normal, which was probably down to the extra walking but also could be an after effect of having had several adrenaline rushes :)

So my advice would be to treat the day as you would for a day that involves a fair bit of exercise and definitely take glucose tablets with you. The GlucoTabs come in a plastic tube so are well suited for the rides involving water.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, i would be more concerned about the scorching temperature working in a place like that dressed as a chipmunk..

Reactions: 2 people