I've Lost Weight on Metformin

AileenF

well I must be the only one who hasn't lost waight on it, since I became a diabetic 4 years ago I have gained over 3 stone on these pills and cant shift it, any advice ?
Hi I am on Meformin 2 x 500 mg twice a day since January 2013 or thereabouts and I thought I was the only person who hasnt lost weight either lol xxxx

AileenF

I take 2000mg of Metformin daily and 110 units of insulin daily and I have gained 2 and 1/2 stone in 5 years which I find very depressing. I just think my metabolism is not co-operating! I was diagnosed with type 2 in1996 and eat plenty of fruit and veg. Drink plenty of fluids daily and watch my carbs. Exercise is hard as I have fused discs in my spine and osteoarthritis.
HI I am on 2 x 500 mg since Jan 13 and was told I should lose weight, but haven't either lol. I have tried watching what I eat, exercise etc, but I just go up and down a few pounds, no matter what I do xxx

angie_mia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is my first time replying on here. I also have not lost weight, but I am down 2 dress sizes. Can anyone tell me why this has happened. Been type 2 for 8 yrs diet controlled until Jan this year. Now on 2000 Metformin per day. Honestly no weight loss.[/QU
HI I am on 2 x 500 mg since Jan 13 and was told I should lose weight, but haven't either lol. I have tried watching what I eat, exercise etc, but I just go up and down a few pounds, no matter what I do xxx
I am on the same amount as you and cant lose a pound, I was going to slimming world one wk I lost 2-3 pound the next put 5-6 on I am now the biggest I have ever been and so depressed about it , my friend has lost 5 stone on them .

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing ok.

Just to let you know I have been on Metformin 2000mg a day for 2 months and I've lost 2 and a half stone in that time I am also following a low carb diet which will have definitely helped.

Anyone else lost weight?

Shazzie xx
I'm on 2000mg a day and along with my change in diet of no more than 5% saturated fat and 5% sugar content in anything I eat I've lost 2 stones and my body shape has changed, along with going down two dress sizes. I'm one of the lucky ones who, after the initial abdominal pains, haven't suffered many side effects from my medication either

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed as type 2 in November, and was on 1500mg and then put on 2000mg a day. I have lost 13kg ,
I'm not sure if its the metformin or just the fact that I have never eaten regularly ( I could go days without eating) and since I found out I was diabetic i have been eating 2 small meals a day. I also have a very stressful time with my 17yr old daughter and recently lost my brother in a scuba diving accident, so maybe stress is a participating factor in my weight loss as well.
Another interesting thing that I have noticed is that 6yrs ago I was diagnosed with COPD, but at my annual review in February (just 3 months after I was put on metformin) I was told that my airways had improved, which they do not do with COPD, I am now wondering if I ever had it in the first place, or if I was misdiagnosed all those years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharon_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much for all your helpful replies.

It is so strange how some of us have lost and others haven't. I don't have potatoes or bread at all now and have replaced these with salad or veggies. I wonder if that has helped too.

It has made me feel so much better so I really wish you could all lose too to make you feel better. I have to have my bloods done in August to see if the Metformin has helped the blood sugar. Fingers crossed.

My GP put me on them when my bloods came back too high glucose wise as I can't exercise because of my MS and my weight had increased to 17 stone and she said the Met would help with weight loss.

Thanks again for replying.

Shazzie xx

Anthea1948

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on metformin for a month and put on half a stone. I recently tried it again and put on over 3 lbs in 5 days. Am now trying insulin injections instead, but understand that can also cause weight gain :-(

Sharon_1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear about your brother and the trouble you are having with your 17 year old daughter Jerseytigress. A difficult age. Hope things settle for you soon.

Green Dragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
well I must be the only one who hasn't lost waight on it, since I became a diabetic 4 years ago I have gained over 3 stone on these pills and cant shift it, any advice ?
Your not the only one Margaret, I've been on Metformin for about 4 yrs and now I am on insulin as well and I have gained at least 3 stone and now my muscles have stopped I am under physio, I used to walk at least 4 miles a day, now I'm lucky if I can walk to the end of the drive.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I am on1x500mg Metformin a day,I have lost two stone in a year,I realy didnt need to lose weight,but stable now at 9 stone and 5ft 7ins.
I dont think my weight loss was due to Metformin,more like cutting down on carbs to control my BG.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Just to let you know I have been on Metformin 2000mg a day for 2 months and I've lost 2 and a half stone in that time I am also following a low carb diet which will have definitely helped.

Anyone else lost weight?

Shazzie xx

Just out of curiosity, how do you know which of the two is the main cause if your weight loss?

I've certainly lost weight on my low carb diet, but I can't say that metformin has done anything for me other than help somewhat with my glucose levels.

Robbity

angie_mia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on metformin for a month and put on half a stone. I recently tried it again and put on over 3 lbs in 5 days. Am now trying insulin injections instead, but understand that can also cause weight gain :-(
hi this happened to me with glicazide I take 2 tabelets a day but my doctor said I need to take 4 aday, because of the waight gain I have had I decided to waigh my self before takeing the extra one, so I started takeing the extra 2 a day and keeping to my diet and I gained 7 and a half pound in a wk so I stopped takeing the extra now coz I would have put stone on,

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Coconut, the most vile substance known to mankind. people who only see things in black and white.
I never lost weight on Metformin alone .... However, Metformin and Exenatide (Byetta) and the pounds just fell away, mainly due to Byetta's "side effects" I would say.

sharron59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
None really except people who think they are somebody or better than you when they arent
I take 2000mg of Metformin daily and 110 units of insulin daily and I have gained 2 and 1/2 stone in 5 years which I find very depressing. I just think my metabolism is not co-operating! I was diagnosed with type 2 in1996 and eat plenty of fruit and veg. Drink plenty of fluids daily and watch my carbs. Exercise is hard as I have fused discs in my spine and osteoarthritis.
Hi. I am like you. Been on it for a couple years. 1500 /2000mg a day. Often 2000 sends me constantly to open bowels so he puts me down to 1500 but then blood reading flirt back up to 9.8 and around. Also been out on daily injection of Victoza to help with weight loss which is a mega problem. Lost 10lbs in first two weeks, two months ago, now doing nothing. It really depressed me as due to osteoarthritis pain and now constant cellulitis in left leg it I very hard to move about and this weather even worse. It has never got me down until past few days as nothing seems to help. I drink loads water eat fruit, salads but nothing...

sharron59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
None really except people who think they are somebody or better than you when they arent
well everyone seems to loose waight by cutting down on carbs, can someone give me some advice on wot carbs I should and should not eat, I have had no help from my diabetic doctor only cut out potatoes, pasta, grapes and bananas oh and keep of the salt, I must be the one who sliped through the net on getting any advice on wot I can or cant eat, thanks
Nobody has ever advised me on what to eat either Angie..try to pick things up on here but didn't know to avoid grapes though..

John_Cone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Anyone else lost weight?

Shazzie xx
What you must do is read the information in the Metformin packet. It does say that for metformin to work you must consume Carbs. I have been on 1500mg a day for 10 yrs and not shown any sign of weight lose, i keep my carbs intake to 200g per day or less.

John_Cone

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My Diabetic nurse told me to cut down on fruit and some veg because your body converts some of the fruit into sugars (carbs) and if your body can't use these sugars it turns into Triglyceride fats which hang on to your liver and cause even more problems with your Cholesterol levels.

Flump

Anyone else lost weight?

Shazzie xx

Flump

Hi everyone, I am not sure if any one else has these symptoms on metformin .... Although I am losing weight my bowel movements are too frequent and have cramps.

chrissargent

I'm a T1 diabetic and have put on loads of weight - currently around 22 stone - I have recently noticed insulin resistance setting in as I have needed more and more insulin to maintain correct blood sugar levels so I asked my Dr to go on Metformin. Have been on it about a month now and my insulin needs have levelled off. I'[m only on 1 tablet a day at the moment so hopefully if I can increase then I can start to reduce my insulin and start to lose a bit of the weight too!

Not had any issues with bowel movements and have had some severe dizziness which seems to be lessening now.