What's happening?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hubby has back problems and couldn't dance for a couple of months, so my dancing was reduced from 5 or 6 times per week to 1 or 2 times.

I could understand why my insulin requirements rose, it's obvious!

When hubby felt he could do some dancing, I could even understand why my insulin requirements stayed the same - we weren't doing all the dances (he's still not able to do the livelier ones like the jive). What I can't understand is that I'm still having to increase both basals and ratios, even though I've been dancing 5 or 6 times per week, for a few weeks now.

Can anyone suggest what's going on? . . . It's got nothing to do with the weather, as yesterday was the first day I've been able to do without a cardi at some point in the day! Scotland is lovely, honest! :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Could you have lost muscle mass, in the down time?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Could you have lost muscle mass, in the down time?
Hmmmm, I've never thought of myself as being in any way muscular. - more a bit flabby :oops: - so I don't really know how to answer that one. I suppose it's possible as my legs and buttocks were a bit painful the first week hubby was back dancing.

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you gained weight during past weeks? Feel tired and move less during the day except dancing? Sleep more? Change in diet?

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Was going to say the same as @Atalay, if you've been less active and put some weight on this could result in you using more insulin, but as cold as Scotland can be I'm sure the weather has been warmer and this may be why your insulin needs have increased, there's been a few discussions over the last few days on how the warm weather can increase/decrease people's TDD.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did put on 3lb but that's down to 2lb now. Not a great increase but it is coming down.

As for the weather, our central heating hasn't been off constantly till last week and I've needed at least a cardigan when going out, until yesterday.

It's a joke in our family, I ALWAYS feel tired. I'm certainly not sleeping more and there's been no change in diet.

I just presumed that when I started dancing more often, I'd start reducing my insulin but I've had to increase several times - yesterday being the latest, after a couple of basal tests. This means I've not only increased when dancing less, but increased again when dancing more. Even if the weather had something to do with it, surely one would cancel out the other and my TDD would stay the same.:(