Pumps and swimming

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I haven't been swimming yet with my pump and have been looking at the old threads on this. If you just want to go swimming once do you use tape to keep the sets secure? What are the best and cheapest options for beach holidays? I've seen skin tac but that seems to be £15 for 50 wipes. Also does it affect absorption as the needle/canula will have to go through it?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't put any extra adhesive or tape on my site when I go swimming. It's never come off or loosened. I swim in the pool and in the sea. I do usually change my set when I get back from the beach though as I worry it's not that clean.

Having said that, that was with Accuchek Tenderlinks which seal off really well. I also use Rapid Ds now and have yet to swim with them. I don't like the way they seal off nor the little 'tail'. I think I'd be more worried with those.

I'm not a fan of beach holidays so I can't help you there, but I do spend odd days at the beach in the UK and find my main worries are how long my pump is disconnected or if it's getting hot. The sites have never caused me problems on those occasions.

Reactions: 2 people