Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi all,
I had an epiphany in January whilst speaking to my nurse at my surgery. She suggessted the low carb diet as my hba1c was up alot from last year (6.8 to 9.2!- I had a bad year). Something she said made sense and so I found this forum and after reading lots about LCHF, I started cutting the carbs.
I am now on 30 to 50 carbs a day and in four months have lost 11kg/24lbs. Also have taken up swimming and cycling along with the daily dog walks. I feel better than I have in years. BG is in range and diabetes is in much better control.
So I would like to thank all you helpful peeps out there for your knowledge and experiences. I wish I had looked up this site years ago.

:):D

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well today is a milestone .....have lost exactly one stone in a month. I need to slow it up or maybe try and stop it altogether now as I don't need to be any thinner than I am. Can't believe how easily I have lost it after trying for years. Low carb has achieved a miracle for me :D

Reactions: 10 people

yvonne49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Glucose spikes
Have lost about 5 stone.2 before diagnosis because I knew deep down I was diabetic and should lose weight ,and 3 stone after diagnosis. Have about 1 and a half stone to go but I seem to have hit a brick wall.

I am exercising quite a bit and on less than 50 g carb a day. Hope it moves soon :(

Reactions: 8 people

msmi1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well today is a milestone .....have lost exactly one stone in a month. I need to slow it up or maybe try and stop it altogether now as I don't need to be any thinner than I am. Can't believe how easily I have lost it after trying for years. Low carb has achieved a miracle for me :D

That's FANTASTIC!! well done. :)

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 months on LCHF and I've lost 30lbs :D This is a massive achievement for me, having been morbidly obese for the last 20 years. I have a lot more to lose, but I actually have confidence that I can do it and reach a healthier weight. My BG is much improved and I'm feeling so much better in myself. The constant hunger and carb craving is gone, I've realised that carbs are 'poisonous' to my system.

Reactions: 8 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2 months on LCHF and I've lost 30lbs :D This is a massive achievement for me, having been morbidly obese for the last 20 years. I have a lot more to lose, but I actually have confidence that I can do it and reach a healthier weight. My BG is much improved and I'm feeling so much better in myself. The constant hunger and carb craving is gone, I've realised that carbs are 'poisonous' to my system.
Congratulations....that's amazing ....:D

RobOwen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After 8 weeks on the Newcastle-style (VLC) diet I have lost a total of 39lbs from 16st 9lbs to 13st 12lbs and my BG & BP readings have improved massively. My medication is also down from 11 tablets a day to 3. Now I have to a) keep it off and b) lose a little more. As from today I migrate on to LCHF.

Reactions: 10 people

Skydog76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rap Music, Football, Rugby Union, Hipsters, The EU
Was at the doctors for my review and got weighed, lost another 1st 2lb which was a shock as i'd had a bad month and ate more than i should on a few occassions, so that now makes a total of 2st 9lb lost, have even started riding the push iron again and have been putting in 2.2 miles a day to start with, which is nice

Reactions: 4 people

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've lost 52 lbs., last year. After new year I got half of them back. I started on dieting and exercising a month ago, losing slowly.

I changed my exercising program from totally cardio to half cardio-half weightlifting. This is much better, I discovered, because losing fat requires a serie of procedure, it seems (explaining roughly):

First, we eat, those stored in our bodies as fat,
Then, weightlift moderate to semi-heavy according to your body type and age so that the stored fat goes to muscles to be burned. Muscles will keep burning fat up to 48 hours, but eventhough you burn fat, you gain muscle weight,
Finally, do cadio to burn more fat caused by excessive breathing due to exercising, because fat is burned out through breathing... yes, breathing:

Here is the scientific fact of breathing:

cisyyang

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I lost 10 pounds without doing anything in three months, just walking more around with friends! I think this was amazing!

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow! awesome, friends! I am on my way losing weight, too. Struggling, but haven't lost my motivation.

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
I went to surgery for monthly weigh in. Lost 1.6kg this month despite eating/drinking too much on holiday last week. That's 18kg since November. Course Dr says it's not enough.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to surgery for monthly weigh in. Lost 1.6kg this month despite eating/drinking too much on holiday last week. That's 18kg since November. Course Dr says it's not enough.

What's not enough? The total you have lost, or how much you have lost in the month since your last weigh-in?

badwolfreturns

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lost 2 stone and 2lbs,using my fitnesspal app,started at 15 stone 7lb,now at 12 stone 13 lb

gillyhill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lying on a beach all day, arrogant/rude/superficial people, not being able to get necessary help from health professionals
My amount this month AndBreathe ....and every other month. I complained to the nurse I saw and said I wanted a referral to weight and diabetes clinics at local hospital due to attitude of Dr. She's in charge of diabetes clinic at the surgery

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Big milestone for me today - my weight loss has tipped over 40kg (40.1kg to be precise), which is 6st 4.5lb

That means I've lost a third of what I weighed in November or to put it another way, back in November I weighed 50% more than I weigh now.

My BMI is down from 36.9 to 24.6, my waist is down from 44" to 32" and my neck is down from 18.5" to 16"

When I was first diagnosed in November, the light at the end of the tunnel was very dim, but I headed for it anyway and now it's burning brightly :)