Lowest carb ice cream?

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just to update as the weather is warmer today and for the rest of the week, I brought two loads of the mini milks in anticipation, tried one and it doesn't spike my bs and hit the spot nicely thank you

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tesco everyday choc ice is 8.7g cho each. Not bad, and have coconut oil.
Any food labelled "diabetic" probably has extra fructose in it, so not a good idea.

Reactions: 2 people

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Really bad question, but by any chance would you know which brand it's the litter carb ice cream? I was looking in Tesco and I couldn't really see anything below 11g per 100g.

I came back with Frank's diabetic ice cream against my better judgement and tried a spoon and it will probably stay there!

I know it's not the best food, but occasionally as the weather is hearing up I would like to share some with the kids

Treat ice cream as a treat only, if your gonna eat it, get the best you can afford (made with real cream not partially reconstituted udder crust) / make your own and enjoy. All these so called health ice creams are garbage. Fructose (as in Diabetic Vanilla) is still carbs and not diabetic friendly whatsoever. Eat real ice cream it's far better for you than the fake stuff. The difference between 8-15g per 100g/ml is not going make much healthy difference to your diabetes.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really bad question, but by any chance would you know which brand it's the litter carb ice cream? I was looking in Tesco and I couldn't really see anything below 11g per 100g.

I came back with Frank's diabetic ice cream against my better judgement and tried a spoon and it will probably stay there!

I know it's not the best food, but occasionally as the weather is hearing up I would like to share some with the kids
I would suggest making your own, double cream eggs to a custard.... freeze while mixing... and a sweetening agent.... or not if it is fruit based...
Take care on volumes and weights of ice cream.... most is sold as volume coz there is so much air in it.... and they get away with actually selling less weight.... go figure but that's big food for you.

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
:joyful: Cheeky day off school so I tried the instant version: 100g frozen berries, 100g double cream, 1tsp xylitol, 1/2 tsp cocoa powder. Couldn't finish it all so I've put some in the freezer for later but it's AWESOME! High in calories but very low carbs and tastes like a luxurious treat :joyful:

Reactions: 9 people

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When the yoghurt run out the other night my daughter just threw the frozen fruits into the remainder of double cream in the fridge and declared it yummy. Unfortunately fruits and yoghurt have run out again so off to the supermarket I go

MargaretR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @AndBreathe I shall add that you my month end shopping, I get the feeling it will be a popular item in this house!
Try Snugbury's Diabetic Ic-cream. No sugar, or aspartame It does contain xylotol, orafti and stevia, as sweeteners. It tastes wonderful, and doesn't spike me. They do vanilla, chocolate and raspberry ripple, but i've never been able to find the choc or RR.
They are based in Nantwich Cheshire and have a shop on site. I get mine from Booths which is a chain of supermarkets in the North. Lancashire, Cheshire, a few in Yorkshire, andd Cumbria.

Edit About 14 g carbohydrate per serving,but what they call a serving is is about 2x as much as I would have in one portion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try Snugbury's Diabetic Ic-cream. No sugar, or aspartame It does contain xylotol, orafti and stevia, as sweeteners. It tastes wonderful, and doesn't spike me. They do vanilla, chocolate and raspberry ripple, but i've never been able to find the choc or RR.
They are based in Nantwich Cheshire and have a sop on site. I get mine from Booths which is a chain of supermarkets in the North. Lancashire, Cheshire, a few in Yorkshire, cod Cumbria

I will keep a look out for that thank you

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello to all the Ice Cream Lovers, I also miss having some cool and smoothness in the hot weather.
I was given Franks when I was in hospital, the tubs were so small I don't think it touched the sides nor did I taste it. I have heard the ice cream van going about these last couple of days, and the thought was so nice.

I have read through all the ideas and recipe's from this post and some are very good and I wonder if the Greek yoghurt would last very long in the freezer, I am a yoghurt lover to say the least.

The suggestion of having some 'ordinary' ice cream is very tempting, I cannot get to read the labels on the frozen foods, my fingers go white, I have even thought about the frozen yoghurt things that they do, I think web site research is needed to get some good carb facts, but for now all ice cream lovers, may your search and making of the cool white stuff be successful, so ttfn from Karen.