Can I have some advice please?

Amymann83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, I hoping for a little bit of reassurance, my husband and I are both type 1 diabetics and have a 12 month old baby without diabetes. Over the last few days, in this heat, he has been drinking an awful lot so we thought we should check his results. Last night post meal he was 7.9 and this morning he fasting blood was 6.2. Both results seem to be on the cusp of being outside the normal range. Should I be worried or do infants run higher?
Many thanks. Amy

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Amymann83
welcome to the forum :)

couple of things to consider -- meters have a +/- tolerance so those numbers are guidance
has this been for a few days with the heat ? ( sorry - you did say this )

best bet with the family history is to get him to your GP for a check though to be safe

all the best

Reactions: 2 people

jgordon5

Hello Amy, neither seem too high. I realise 7.9 is almost at the top of what is considered normal after a meal but 6.2 is not alarming for a fasting blood glucose.
I hope someone with more experience of type 1 in babies answers you too but personally I would just check periodically and not worry too much unless you get much higher results.
I don't know where you live but it was so hot yesterday my 12 month old granddaughter was drinking huge amounts of water and so was her 3 year old brother.
Good luck. I hope your baby is fine.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree that the results currently are not too high but it's worth doing occasional checks and seeing the GP if they start to rise. As you probably realise with both of you T1 then there is a higher risk of any children developing it but not guaranteed.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Amy, as the others have said the numbers aren't alarmingly high, I think lots of kiddies have been drinking more with this weather, but what about wet nappies? Obviously frequent urination is a sign too so if there hasn't been more wet nappies than usual id try not to worry yourself too much and as @jgordon5 said do some random testing to keep an eye on things x

Reactions: 3 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Everybody tends to drink more when it is hot especially children. To put your mind at ease it might pay to go and see your GP just to discuss some of your fears and to ask some in depth questions. As others have said they don't seem overly high but I can understand why you are worried

Amymann83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you everyone. I think it'll be best to do a few random tests and go and speak to the gp if the results increase. I'm hoping I'm a neurotic diabetic mother waiting for things to go wrong, I'm sure my two other children would agree!!
All the advice has been very helpful. Thanks again.

Reactions: 5 people