Hello from me......

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi guys......I'm a T1 diabetic for 47 years, currently on 2 injections (Mixtard) a day.
Have been off the wagon, on the wagon for many years, but never have I been explained about the importance regarding the intake of food and drink.
I have just come back from 3 years in Thailand (Will return), and after seeing my diabetic doctor; which i have not seen for the 3 years....told me I was in danger of damaging my liver, and my BS was way out of control!!

Well....I saw the light at the end of the tunnel after finding this website. I can not believe the helpful information you guys post.....And I want to say thank you to you all xxxxx

One interesting subject I found was about alcohol, ''mainly beer'' (Thanks to the guy who explained it).....I thought I was special in that my sugar never rose after a night out on the beer with friends, I even told doctors in the UK and in the Czech Republic about drinking beer, and all I got was wow! No effect, just be careful....Great help my doctors have been over the years...NOT!!

Anyway, to cut a long story short.....I have taken all the advice on here like not eating potatoes, rice and pasta etc....And I have lowered my insulin intake by a lot!!, And my BS readings are even hard to rise above 5:0....... But now hypo many times at night.....Looking into that with a tweak of the insulin :).And NO BEER!!

Again....Thank you all xx

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi and welcome to the forum @Robcz :)

So pleased you've found the forum informative, looking forward to your contribution.

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Thanks for the welcome noblehead! I must admit, the only contribution I can add to this forum, is how not to be a good diabetic :)

Reactions: 3 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi from me too.

Forum is enlightening isn't it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Beer, although derived from carbs, may not have that much carb left after fermentation but beers vary. Most of the carbs are converted to alcohol and this has only a small effect on blood sugar and it can be either way. Yes, testing is the only way to find out. Note that most T1s may well be on the Basal/Bolus regime which gives finer blood sugar control than twice-a-day mixed insulin and you can cater for wider variations in meal-time carbs but they still need to be sensible. If you find your Hba1C doesn't come right and/or you have hypos then do consider moving to Basal/Bolus.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'll dig out the topic where I took photos of the effect of beer on my bg without any insulin using CGM. @Robcz, I guarantee it will shock you given your previous beliefs.

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Thanks for the welcome noblehead! I must admit, the only contribution I can add to this forum, is how not to be a good diabetic :)

@Robcz Firstly, may I wish you a very warm welcome. Sometimes it is useful to hear from people who have not always been 'angelic' diabetics and now that you've "seen the light" your opinions and advice will be just as valid. Keep well and keep posting.

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciated!
The beer question can only be answered on personal experiences. My experience, and we are talking years :) That after a nights session out with the boys, it would take till the next day for the BS to rise; meaning I would need another shot of insulin to balance it....and that was a wild guess at the best of times :)......Now I'm quoting a past post here (Can't remember where it is now) However, this guy explains that the liver shuts down after drinking too much (6/7 beers); which I can believe.....And once the liver recovers, your sugar levels start to rise again. This would explain the delay in my unexpected sugar levels. I could be wrong in agreeing with this guy, but I can't think of any other reason.
BTW guys...I've had diabetes from the age of 5 (Fell out of a window 4 stories high killing my pancreas), and now I am 52....I could write a book....believe me :)
Hi Tim2000s ......What's a CGM?

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
By the way my diabetic friends....I have sorted out the hypo problem. Eat a little of the un-forbidden food, such as one small potato, or one spoon of beans, maybe even a slice of brown bread......So excited right now, and!!! I can't believe I'm doing this.