Had steak and chips for dinner, it was heavenly!

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Decided I can have the odd treat now so instead of having steak and salad I had steak and chips with tomatoes, absolutely gorgeous! But I didn't want to overdo it so I got some McCain Micro Chips, they come in packs of 100g at 24g carbs, not many chips but a lot less than I'd do if I was making homemade or oven chips from a larger bag! But there are just enough to really enjoy steak and chips again :)
Was going to make Saturday night treat night but the steak needed eating today. Will have fish and chips next week with some lovely fresh chunky cod :)

Reactions: 5 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you enjoyed your chips; I love chips but sadly can't eat them.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yum sounds delicious, might have to put that on the menu for this week.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you enjoyed your chips; I love chips but sadly can't eat them.

I couldn't eat any more than the 100g, which is really just a handful, nowhere near the number I used to eat, which is why buying them in small portions like this is the only way I can have them - would be just too tempting to add 'just an extra couple' (of chips or handfuls!) ;)

Reactions: 6 people

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice to have a treat now and then. I sometimes go to the chippy and have fish and chips but I have to admit the portion of chips is always too big. Good suggestion about the micro-chips, I forgot all about them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I couldn't eat any more than the 100g, which is really just a handful, nowhere near the number I used to eat, which is why buying them in small portions like this is the only way I can have them - would be just too tempting to add 'just an extra couple' (of chips or handfuls!) ;)
Good for you! I must admit I'm currently not tempted by chips at all, although if someone were to offer me curly fries (with all the seasoning) I'd find it extremely difficult to refuse...

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do really well with steak and chips.

Usually go for 8-10oz, medium rare, then eat all the salad and half the chips.
Since I only indulge when out, I can't guesstimate the amount of carbs in the chips, but I usually find my BG rises (slowly) to about 6.4mmol/l and sits there for several hours, sometimes over night.

I'm very happy with that.

Experience has taught me that the whole resistant starch thing makes no difference to me for any food except chips (rice and pasta are disastrous) - but twice and thrice cooked posh pub chips are great for me. In small portions...

Reactions: 4 people

honey badger

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make chips from the slimming world way,
I microwave a spud with skin left on till cooked,then cut in half,and cut each
half into segments, like orange segments,i then sprinkle with a little olive oil,and sprinkle with sea salt,or possibly other flavourings,they advocate cayen pepper, or season salt etc.
I rough them up a bit then place on the grill pan and bang them in a hot oven, they are very nice.

Reactions: 2 people