Need some advice

Cirbear89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being ill, my stretch marks, mess, being confused,
Ok so I'm 26, overweight, highly active, newly diagnosed, but normally good at keeping to a healthy diet. But today having real issues keeping the hunger at bay. Normally I would grab a protein shake to fill the gap before I go workout but found that my gl drops dramatically when using it causing me to feel ill during my workout. My average range for gl is between 10-14 but drops to 3-5 on the shakes.
I need ideas for quick fuel ideas that will fill me up enough to not pass out in the middle of the gym studio (it gets a bit embarrassing) I'm not currently on any medication for my diabetes more have I been given which type I am.

Really struggling to lose weight I've been stuck at 90kgs for over a month and that's with a lot of dieting and exercise. I've been referred to Desmond but waiting dates for it see a personal trainer weekly, in the gym 5 days a week.

Help please!

Claire_Terry

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya,
Just read your post and I went on my Desmond course last Tuesday and found it really helpful. I am in a similar situation that I'm over weight and exercise and find it hard to lose weight. I am doing Herbalife and making sure I have protein every couple of hours and making sure I cutout sugar and little myself to carbs,if I do have them make sure they are GI.
With Desmond it opened my eyes about food and what to eat, there's a lot of mixed opinions, but I thought it was worth going.

Good luck
Claire xx

Cirbear89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've tried limiting my carb intake but always feel worse for it in fact once passed out from it so I know that carbs are essential for my body to function.
I use my protein products as find the sugar content in herblife and other shakes to high plus my protein tastes great!
Still awaiting my Desmond dates and still having serious issues on keeping myself feeling full for any length of time. Not helped by a dramatic drop in my levels whilst at work I plummeted to 3.4 yesterday whilst taking my 5 young charges on an outing to Brighton feel so bad and exhausted all the time. Back to the gp I think.
X

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried limiting my carb intake but always feel worse for it in fact once passed out from it so I know that carbs are essential for my body to function.
I use my protein products as find the sugar content in herblife and other shakes to high plus my protein tastes great!
Still awaiting my Desmond dates and still having serious issues on keeping myself feeling full for any length of time. Not helped by a dramatic drop in my levels whilst at work I plummeted to 3.4 yesterday whilst taking my 5 young charges on an outing to Brighton feel so bad and exhausted all the time. Back to the gp I think.
X

This may not be what you want to hear, but if you have been used to running at 11-14, then it could be reasonable that you feel a bit off when you go to 5, as your body isn't used to it. But, nothing can make me feel that running at 11-14 is going to be good for you over the longer term.

That manifestation of feeling off when cutting carbs is extremely common in the early days. It's usually that your body is effectively having withdrawal symptoms, so the harsh reality is it may be something you have to go through to get to a better place. When you cut the carbs, do you cut them a bit or a lot? Do you know how many gramms you are eating a day, or are you working on cutting out the biggies like spuds, rice, pasta and bread?

Your profile mentions medicines for other medical condition. Clearly I don't know what they are, or make any judgement or guess what impact they could be having on how you feel, but that is a possibility.

Whether you are T1 or T2 is irrelevant in these early days. That your bloods go up and down suggests your body still produces insulin, but this can happen in newly diagnosed T1s whose pancreas is on the way out, but not quite expired yet. On the other hand, T2s usually make lots of insulin, but due to a number of metabolic factors, our bodies don't deal with it very well.

I think you are wise to go back to your GP if you are getting 3s and 14s, as that's quite a swinging range, but please don't completely discount curbing your carbs as that's pretty critical, in my view, whether T1 or T2.

For T1s using insulin, curbing carbs results in lower insulin doses, and in T2s it can mean a significant evening out of the blood peaks and troughs. It's a matter of getting the balance right, but it's early days.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This may not be what you want to hear, but if you have been used to running at 11-14, then it could be reasonable that you feel a bit off when you go to 5, as your body isn't used to it. But, nothing can make me feel that running at 11-14 is going to be good for you over the longer term.

That manifestation of feeling off when cutting carbs is extremely common in the early days. It's usually that your body is effectively having withdrawal symptoms, so the harsh reality is it may be something you have to go through to get to a better place. When you cut the carbs, do you cut them a bit or a lot? Do you know how many gramms you are eating a day, or are you working on cutting out the biggies like spuds, rice, pasta and bread?

Your profile mentions medicines for other medical condition. Clearly I don't know what they are, or make any judgement or guess what impact they could be having on how you feel, but that is a possibility.

Whether you are T1 or T2 is irrelevant in these early days. That your bloods go up and down suggests your body still produces insulin, but this can happen in newly diagnosed T1s whose pancreas is on the way out, but not quite expired yet. On the other hand, T2s usually make lots of insulin, but due to a number of metabolic factors, our bodies don't deal with it very well.

I think you are wise to go back to your GP if you are getting 3s and 14s, as that's quite a swinging range, but please don't completely discount curbing your carbs as that's pretty critical, in my view, whether T1 or T2.

For T1s using insulin, curbing carbs results in lower insulin doses, and in T2s it can mean a significant evening out of the blood peaks and troughs. It's a matter of getting the balance right, but it's early days.

Good luck with it all.

Absolutely.

Cirbear89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I don't mind say what medication I'm on, omperazole for reflux, duluxitine for depression, topiramate and propranolol for migraines.

I don't eat any gluten based carbs to start with so no pastas, breads, or rice. As it causes upset for my stomach anyway so the only source of carbs is spuds and other fruits and veg but I cut most of it out. The only advice on carb cutting I've received is from my personal trainer who is also a licensed nutritional advisor.

As you say I'm still in very early days so still not sure what I'm meant to be doing.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't mind say what medication I'm on, omperazole for reflux, duluxitine for depression, topiramate and propranolol for migraines.

I don't eat any gluten based carbs to start with so no pastas, breads, or rice. As it causes upset for my stomach anyway so the only source of carbs is spuds and other fruits and veg but I cut most of it out. The only advice on carb cutting I've received is from my personal trainer who is also a licensed nutritional advisor.

As you say I'm still in very early days so still not sure what I'm meant to be doing.

Thanks for that. Many people comment their reflux improves when they cut down on the carbs. Not just diabetics, but my OH, who is a slim, fit guy has periodic reflex; particularly if he gains weight. But he commented only a few weeks ago that his reflux was so much better these days. He doesn't low carb to the extent that or or many others on here do, but we do eat the same meals, except that he'll have more carb than me, in some format.

Sadly, the spuds are often suspects when it comes to impacts on bloods, and most fruits. I loved (actually, I think I still would love) bananas, as a very easy grab-and-go breakfast, but they're just like rocket fuel for my bloods, so they had to go. Most diabetics find they can tolerate berries, so that's strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries etc., rather than apples, pears or tropical fruit. It seems counter-intuitive, but some of the very things we have perceived as healthy just don't suit us diabetics.

The reality is that how individual foods impact on our bloods is pretty individual, and this is where your meter is such a valuable asset. If you test before you eat, then an hour and 2 hours after you start to eat, you will quickly have your Yes, No and Sometimes lists. Most of us like to keep the difference between the before and 2hrs after scores within 2 points of each other. That's like 5.0 > 7.0 just for example. But, for most, including me, at diagnosis, it's also brining down the before eating numbers, and therefore the averages down too.

It takes time, so go at it steadily, but I reiterate the most important thing you can modify is what you eat or not eat.

Cirbear89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for that. Many people comment their reflux improves when they cut down on the carbs. Not just diabetics, but my OH, who is a slim, fit guy has periodic reflex; particularly if he gains weight. But he commented only a few weeks ago that his reflux was so much better these days. He doesn't low carb to the extent that or or many others on here do, but we do eat the same meals, except that he'll have more carb than me, in some format.

Sadly, the spuds are often suspects when it comes to impacts on bloods, and most fruits. I loved (actually, I think I still would love) bananas, as a very easy grab-and-go breakfast, but they're just like rocket fuel for my bloods, so they had to go. Most diabetics find they can tolerate berries, so that's strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries etc., rather than apples, pears or tropical fruit. It seems counter-intuitive, but some of the very things we have perceived as healthy just don't suit us diabetics.

The reality is that how individual foods impact on our bloods is pretty individual, and this is where your meter is such a valuable asset. If you test before you eat, then an hour and 2 hours after you start to eat, you will quickly have your Yes, No and Sometimes lists. Most of us like to keep the difference between the before and 2hrs after scores within 2 points of each other. That's like 5.0 > 7.0 just for example. But, for most, including me, at diagnosis, it's also brining down the before eating numbers, and therefore the averages down too.

It takes time, so go at it steadily, but I reiterate the most important thing you can modify is what you eat or not eat.

Thanks for your advice and help. I've suffered with my reflux for years even when I was slim (had a 6pack at one point before injury which is when I started to gain weight)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your advice and help. I've suffered with my reflux for years even when I was slim (had a 6pack at one point before injury which is when I started to gain weight)

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting your reflux and carrying weight were necessarily connected. My OH, with reflux runs at the slim end of his BMI ranges; it's just he noticed that when he gains, he gets a nudge from his reflux. That he's had far fewer episodes, even after some of his usual triggers, I think it's his veiled concession to curbed carbing having a positive impact. To say that underneath it all he's a reluctant reduced carber would be an understatement!

Cirbear89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's fine I didn't think that you were getting at weight and reflux being connected just thought I'd give some background on it.

Reactions: 2 people