MARK, Type 1 - New on here so here goes lol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im Mark 29years old from Liverpool, just decided to have a look on here to see what it was all about and seems helpful, so im looking to get more involved maybe taking part in fundraising events or whatever, i have numerous health conditions as most of us do and for awhile now iv been wanting to get back in shape and take control of my life, seem to be on a role of bad luck lately and feels everything is against me, Hoping to meet a few people from Liverpool who are also looking to get fitter or anyone with advice that could help me get into routine etc. Iv seen a few people mentioning walks and im up for that need to have a look round this app to get used to it but if anyone can help id appreciate it, message me if you can hope to make some friends as well, cheers all.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1436018964.827084.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Mark, just wanted to say hi and welcome :)

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mark and welcome :) You have come to the right place for help, advice and a little lunacy now and then :D Which type diabetes are you and how are you coping with it?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi you guys im Type 1 had it for nearly 17 years but never really had control of it to be fair, had numerous other health conditions and all tend to have a domino affect on each other, fitness didnt used to be an issue untill about 3 years back when i had a fee operations on hands for carpel tunnel and trigger finger release, and as it happens i have had about 6 ops on hands over last 3years so healing has been an issue for me as it stopped me from doing sport and going to the gym as i used to, now i have no motivation at all and its been getting me down now for a good while

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi you guys im Type 1 had it for nearly 17 years but never really had control of it to be fair, had numerous other health conditions and all tend to have a domino affect on each other, fitness didnt used to be an issue untill about 3 years back when i had a fee operations on hands for carpel tunnel and trigger finger release, and as it happens i have had about 6 ops on hands over last 3years so healing has been an issue for me as it stopped me from doing sport and going to the gym as i used to, now i have no motivation at all and its been getting me down now for a good while
Sorry to hear about all the problems you have had to contend with. They must make everything seem a lot worse for you. The best thing is, you have recognized that you both have to and want to change things. Is the lack of control of the diabetes down to what you eat or other issues? I am type 2 and no expert by any means but diet is first and foremost for me and a lot on here as it can make or break your bg levels. I am sure more type one's will be along to help and advise you soon and in the meantime ....cheer up chuck...it will get better :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think its abit of both my lack of control has always been strange as i have O.C.D. sticking to plan is good for me but i cant seem to find that initial motivation to get a plan, i need some form of instruction to follow, im a natural born leader whether it be work, sport, games i take control but at the moment i just feel stuck, i cant find time to do a list of what i need and how i can achieve them, i cant focus and the feeling of dread is overwhelming, the basics i need is a meal plan that is healthy but also keeps me with enough carbs to avoid hypos, i need an exercise plan to fit into the week nothing too strenuous to start off with, and something to look forward to and keep me on track, sounds abit like i need a personal trainer but obviously that isnt happening, my head is always chocker.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a bit out of my depth with this one. Perhaps if you post all this on the Type 1 forum you will get a better response from people who have experience with both the diabetes and the exercise part. Just go to the forum and scroll down to Type 1 and post it all there...I am sure someone will be along to help you better than I can. Hope you find the answers there that you need :)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi Mark

Does your GP do a referral scheme to gym? Mine is superb. I get a personsl trainer from being referred for 12 weeks - 2 times a week... He really gives me a buzz. Never frlt like this about a gym before.

I'm concerned that you say you are a born natural leader but not able to lead yourself...,that to me indicates a bit of low self esteem about oneself. I think that all T1 diabetics get this at some point.

Your questions about food and diet plans etc depend upon your lifestyle and your confidence with adjusting insulin etc as we know nothing about your current eating or why you are now trying to change.

Very hard to try n help without a bit more info...

Ie
1.0 can you cook? Are you prepared to cook?

2.0 are you prepared to take time out to think about yourself rather than leading others?

3.0 are you comfortable to adjust your own insulin?

I

Reactions: 4 people

kirstiemarie91

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm doing the walk for diabetes in September, that's in Liverpool! Doing it on my own if you want to join! :)

Reactions: 4 people

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome. There is loads of useful information on the site and great support from other members. As a type 2 I'm afraid I am not too much help other than to at you have definitely found the right place and other t1 members will have some of the answers. Good luck

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Get GP to refer you to the Health Trainer. The system is in place where you are from, and you will be guided to the sort of services you need such as gym and sport, cookery classes etc.
Good luck.