Missed Bolus

Poppy2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Everyone, after nearly 5 months of pumping I made a huge mistake this morning! Nearly 3 hours after breakfast I checked my blood sugar prior to going on a well earned shopping trip! Only to find my BM was 18 mmols! I went through the usual process of elimination regarding possible causes and whilst checking my Bolus on my pump-discovered I had forgotten to give it!!! So I gave the recommended dose using my wizard. I knew I needed to be cautious given it was already 3 hours post food so monitored my BM's every half hour........consequently my BM fell with a bit of a bang! To 7 mmols in less than an hour!-so I utilised a TBR to compensate as obviously wanted to avoid a low!........but no I drastically dropped into a hypo of 2.6! mmols-in the middle of a busy shopping centre and have been feeling rubbish and annoyed with myself since-although I have since eaten-re blouses and am relatively stable again!! Has anybody else made this mistake and how did you rectify it?......lesson learnt.......there is a first time for everything x

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Because of missing a couple of bolusses, due to a changed routine (no excuse, really!) I decided to use the bolus reminder on my pump. It went off yesterday, for the first time, but I had just come back from the shops and hadn't had time for lunch. At least I know it works!

Reactions: 2 people

Fayefaye1429

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does your pump give a choice to extend? I tend to put in say 50% right away and then tell the pod to inject me with the remainder later I find helps

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I think the official blurb is you do not bolus for the amount of carbs missed just do a correction. Being a bit on the conservative side if out shopping as most people find blood sugars tend to drop on the shop :(

Reactions: 6 people

Poppy2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the official blurb is you do not bolus for the amount of carbs missed just do a correction. Being a bit on the conservative side if out shopping as most people find blood sugars tend to drop on the shop :(
Yes! Thanks I realised afterwards that maybe I should have only done a correction bolus I found it all quite scary though, it's hard to think logically when you are having a hypo!! The shopping trip was abandon! Just another steep learning curve in the process of pumping, will not be doing it again I hope-such a lousy day!! Thanks for the advice everyone x

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Find mention of Hypos on pump concerning, due to start with Omnipod soon, find trial good. Was informed hypos less likely ? How many weeks does it take to stabilise? Have been advised to take time off work as need to do blood test 1-2 hourly day and night for two weeks. Do I need to worry? Work driving daily.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Only do a correction bolus...