Feeling a little low

Jimmy_Smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 24 and have had T1 since I was about 8, up until I had a RTC when I was 14 I had well managed bloods, since then I hadn't had good control as well. I was frequently in hospital with ketoacidosis, got the stage when I was twenty minutes away from permently checking out. Last year I went on the DAFNE course and this, coupled with getting an amazingly supportive girlfriend, lead me to getting a handle on my sugars at last. I even managed to get my HBA1C down to single fingures for the first time in about 6 or 7 years. Recently though I've started to lose control again and I don't know why, I'm doing everything right...or at least I thought I was. It's all just getting me down I guess. I have an appointment with my DAFNE nurse on Wednesday so I'm hoping she will be able to help but I just wanted to come on here and hopefully get some advice from fellow Diabetics.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hopefully the nurse will help get you sorted on Wednesday Jimmy, but as ever the first thing you should do when bg control goes astray on basal/bolus is to check that your basal insulin is set at the right dose, although the following is written for pump users the information on fasting and testing in different time frames is still the same for those on injections:

http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry you're feeling down, Jimmy. Diabetes can be very wearing some days.

You could check your insulin and maybe change to a new cartridge or vial just in case it's gone off ( I had a cartridge do that once). Also, check your injection sites and try to choose areas that you don't use as much. I know that some parts of me have much worse absorption than others.

Is there anything that night have caused this? Stress? A change of routine? A different diet or meal times? See if you get any suspects.

I hope you get it sorted soon. I'm sure you will. Think of it as a hump in the road. I'm sure, with your team's help, you'll improve things soon.

Samsquamch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have just gotten my a1c into single figures after years of terrible readings.. (at 8.9, looking to go lower) There's loads of help on this forums and all over the internet, but if you want to chat about anything feel free to pop me a message :)

kndjy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Jimmy,

Being down is more common than you may think so don't let that get you carried away...

I think you might find, as I did, that having had IDDM for so long your body is becoming resistant to it. They will likely put you on a pump, I was, after DAFNE helped my hypo unawareness. Highly recommend it & wish I been put on it years ago.

Additionally,or first, they may put you on Metaformin as an additional help to deal with your insulin needs as your body has become insulin resistant.

I am not going to lecture you about being ill, checking equipment etc as I am sure after 16 years of being an IDDM, you know and have thought of all these things!

If they do NOT recognise or suggest what I have said ask them to rethink as many others have suffered from same. I go to Kings College in London and they are well aware of Insulin Resistance. They were doing the DAFNE training after taking on system from Germany so hopefully your Diabetic Clinic will also be aware.

Good luck with your appointment - it might be an idea to point out it's getting you down - mental health issues for long term sufferers is now being recognised...

And if the girlfriend is so good DON'T leave her out of the loop and let her know what's happening & how your feeling - all the best to you both!