Diarrhoea and a false alarm at A&E

SuzyMo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP changed me over to Metformin SR because of diahorrea but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. Been having continuing diahorrea and really bad sweating first thing in the morning and not so good at times throughout the day.

Ended up in A&E this morning with bowel pains. In addition my bg monitor decided to go doolally today and was giving readings that were off the scale. Talk about feeling a total prat!

Has anyone else continued to have diahorrea with the slow release version of Metformin?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
sorry you are suffering
i,ve been on metformin for a year and have had no problems

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
To look on the bright side: When on metformin, better a false alarm than an accident:oops:, that could be an emegency:woot:
Anyway hope you get things sorted out quickly!

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, there have been a few posts where SR hasn't solved the problem. I think for some Metformin needs to be stopped as it's advantages in blood sugar reduction may not be worth that degree of problem.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe ask to try a different brand, and watch those carbs - too many starchy one may be a problem when you're on metformin.

Robbity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had similar problems with standard metformin and moved to the slow release one after reading about it on here and talking to my GP. SR has resolved the problem mainly but still get the odd loose bowel but nowhere near as bad. I find if I take them with food they are fine. It took some weeks for my problem to get better though as the body got used to it. I take mine once a day with dinner but the GP did they can be spread out too. GP interesting said many people get the problem with normal metformin but they always prescribe it first as cheaper.