Newly diagnosed with Prediabetes

parvine

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my first post so sorry it might be a bit long. For the past two years the question of whether I am prediabetic or diabetic 2 has remained unanswered. I have completely changed my diet in that time and the levels are lower now, down from 7.7 and 1.3 At Christmas my doctor said do not eat too many chocolates. I changed my doctor because he was not that interested and just said you will get it no matter what, you do you are old now. I am 76, 60 kilos and quite active.

At my first visit to this new doctor a month ago he said I needed to go on medication. When I burst into tears he said let's wait a month and then have another test. Had another test last week. The results were HBAc1, 6.1% and 1.15g/l I do not know what the 6.38 mmol/l means exactly. This doctor has recommended I wait and have a total "bilan", check up for everything in September at the end of summer. I live in France.

He also said it is genetic, not a life style problem and will probably become diabetic no matter how hard I try to avoid it with diet and exercise. My father's mother was diabetic1 and my father was diagnosed incorrectly with diabetes but had pancreatic cancer, which killed him pretty quickly. So I have been quite worried to see the levels rise over the past two years no matter my diet and levels of activity and my old doctor was no help at all.

I also have quite bad peripheral neuropathy in my feet for the past 18 months. I have read some good post about this on the forum.

Thanks for reading this and any advice would be appreciated. I am relieved to have at last been told I am prediabetic but want to avoid the final diagnosis that Diabetes two is inevitable, at least for the foreseeable future.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2 diabetes is avoidable and once you have it you can reverse it with good control. What do you normally eat in a day might I ask

parvine

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for asking. It is more a mater of what I do not eat now. Fresh fruit one of my favourites is almost off the menu as is potatoes, bread, pasta and rice. I have never eaten all the things we are told to avoid such as fruit juice, and sweets and soft drinks etc because i do not really have a sweet tooth. I have never ever bought packaged foods. Now it is more vegetables, chick peas and lentils, and fish almonds, walnuts yogurt. Love eggs. I have eaten just rolled oats, no milk or sugar for years for breakfast. It should not have happened if you believe all the books. I think it has been too many carbs and not enough protein. I am not mad about meat but will start to add it back.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only thing that really stands out there is the chickpeas and lentils. Do you have a meter to test your BS, if not it might be worth investing in one then you will be able to see what foods are spiking your BS and those that arnt.

parvine

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only thing that really stands out there is the chickpeas and lentils. Do you have a meter to test your BS, if not it might be worth investing in one then you will be able to see what foods are spiking your BS and those that arnt.
God I love those, chick peas are my all time favourite. No I do not have a meter. Do you really think I need one? Is there a good brand or make on the web?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are concerned about developing Type 2 then it might pay to get yourself one. You might find you can tolerate chick peas but you wont know until you test. Having a meter gives you more control over your BS as you may have noticed that Drs really arnt that helpful but you are in the right place to get yourself on track. Funnily enough chocolate doesnt spike my BS but a small potato will so we are all different. I cant recommend one to you though as I live in NZ and our meters are different over here but if you go to the 'Ask a Question' forum someone may be able to point you in the right direction.

parvine

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok I will buy one and start testing. Are there of directions on when and how to use them?