Type 1 - Starting out at the gym advice please?

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi. I have just joined the gym and have had a program set out for me after discussing my diabetes and fitness levels with a trainer. I do cardio one day and the next day I do weights. I checked my basal rates before going and they are ok. I always wake up with high sugar levels (in the region of 11-13) and pre gym I would inject to correct this with my breakfast. I have noticed if I do not inject and then I train at the gym my levels can drop quite a bit. For example. Yesterday pre workout levels were 13. For breakfast I had two scrambled eggs and a slice of wholemeal toast. I trained an hour later. After 30 mins of training (treadmill, rower and cross trainer) my levels were 7.0. The other day my levels dropped by 10mml after an hour of training. I am just wondering why?! I am monitoring My heart rate which is around 120/160 max when training at peak. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to find that the type of exercise effected my sugar levels in different ways - running, cardio type stuff tended to lower my blood sugar, but weight training can make it go up.

Pre-low carb I used to take a bottle of lucozade with me to the gym and sip on this throughout a session (when doing cardio type stuff). I didn't always drink the whole bottle - this would depend on how hard I had worked, etc.

However, the best advice I can offer is to test a lot. I would test before beginning exercise and part way through and also at the end. And obviously test if you feel like your sugar might be high / low.

Might be worth looking on the 'Runsweet' website (google it).

Reactions: 2 people

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I used to find that the type of exercise effected my sugar levels in different ways - running, cardio type stuff tended to lower my blood sugar, but weight training can make it go up.

Pre-low carb I used to take a bottle of lucozade with me to the gym and sip on this throughout a session (when doing cardio type stuff). I didn't always drink the whole bottle - this would depend on how hard I had worked, etc.

However, the best advice I can offer is to test a lot. I would test before beginning exercise and part way through and also at the end. And obviously test if you feel like your sugar might be high / low.

Might be worth looking on the 'Runsweet' website (google it).
Thanks!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Most T1s see two things happening.

Under very intense exercise (weights, HIIT-type work) which puts a lot of stress on your body, glucose levels rise as a result of anaerobic exercise, where all energy comes from glycolysis of glycogen stores. This may or may not occur alongside significantly increased heart rate, e.g. when doing low rep, heavy weights sessions, my BG goes up, but my heart rate doesn't increase to more than 2x resting. When doing higher rep, not so heavy sets, my heart rate goes up 2.5x resting and so does my BG level. Typically this is down to your muscles requiring glucose and your liver releasing it from stored glycogen.

Under less intense aerobic exercise (e.g. distance running) where the energy is mostly derived from oxygen intake, generally, people see BG levels fall as your muscles consume what is available, but your body doesn't require the additional glucose that the liver can dump as it is typically not stressed in the same way.

TheSpider

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have quite a but experience here , I don't know whet insulin regime your on but I always found when doing my routine I'd have high levels , at the daphne clinic I was told that this was due to the insulin that was in my system being burned up or ran out by the time of my session . Think of it as the insulin as a key that opens the door to breaking down of glycogen and sugars released naturally throughout your work out , so it really is about fine tuning and finding the right amount of insulin that will ensure your sugars stay decent in other words not be burned out quick during your exercise or have already ran dry . I was told that after around four hours the insulin will be burned up quick during a strenuous routine . I began eating a few hours before work outs to ensure my insulin was good ! It's not easy and I have trained most of my life and have been diabetic for 25 years , since the age if five . It's changed so much it used to be exercise eat something before no insulin as it induces hypos lol how it's changed good luck ! Might I add my only experience is of high intense work outs such as contact sports . I hope it adds to previous comments

TheSpider

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
May I add also too much insulin before strenuous work outs will obviously increase hypo risk !