T2 - Now Prescribed Test Strips after Initial Refusal

Scottish Mum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
When I first went a couple of weeks ago, for my diagnosis, I was refused test strips and lancets. I got the usual, you don't need to test, as we will do it three monthly, but get your blood sugar down. I also got the impression, that being overweight, the first doctor might have thought I have always been like that, and wouldn't bother to manage my own condition. It fell on deaf ears, that I needed to know my blood sugar to know how to get my levels down re food etc.

Went home and started a journal, writing bloods and foods eaten. Kept the diary, low carbed (under 30) for four days and then introduced one new food a day, testing to see the effect it has on bloods, before, one hour after and two hours after.

I've discovered I need to stay low carb. Crisps spike my blood sugar and I can have egg pizza without any spike at all. I can also eat some sugary sweet without worrying, but stay away from bread at all costs as it sends me high and makes me crave for more.

I took the journal into the doctors, but chose a different GP. One that knows my medical history, which the first one did not. I sat down and explained what I've done, and how I'm introducing a food a day to see how it affects me. She seemed impressed and has agreed to prescribe what I need.

My purse will breathe easy. Hopefully some other G.P's are supportive. Might be worth a try for those of you who have a G.P you might be able to appeal to.

Reactions: 6 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
well done scottish mum -- :)

Reactions: 2 people

mungocat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
shopping,crowds and the co-alition government
i have been a diabetic for most of my life,i have now become insulin resistent and no matter what insulin i inject nothing works,so i got a new contour usb tester so that i could go on line and present my blood sugars wherever i go, so what do my dr.surgery do,send me a letter saying that they are changing my test strips and lancets to the cheapest one they can get and issued them on my prescription,guess what i have 4 very good or brilliant testers but now i have to get another cheaper tester to get them to fit the test strip,yes another money saving joke

Shelleyannet

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I have had a similar experience I have been a T2 for 6 years and since being hospitalised with Pneumonia in February with my bloods in the 20 s all the time I was put on insulin to help stabilise everything . However I have been getting very frequent hypos and they come on so fast it's frightening. My nurse has been very supportive and suggested the meter I had needed upgrading so she gave me a new one . However my doctor refuses to acknowledge there has been a change and will only prescribe strips for my old meter.! Not helpful

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
well done @Scottish Mum > when i went to see my DN for the first time i informed her that i was going to do the ND and wanted to test my BS to see what and if the food i was eating was spiking. She was very supportive and gave me a meter to test. There are some very supportive GP and nurse

Scottish Mum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
i have been a diabetic for most of my life,i have now become insulin resistent and no matter what insulin i inject nothing works,so i got a new contour usb tester so that i could go on line and present my blood sugars wherever i go, so what do my dr.surgery do,send me a letter saying that they are changing my test strips and lancets to the cheapest one they can get and issued them on my prescription,guess what i have 4 very good or brilliant testers but now i have to get another cheaper tester to get them to fit the test strip,yes another money saving joke
That's actually very sad to hear.