High blood sugar after hypo

JessicaH

My blood sugar dropped down to 2.6 around 2 hours after lunch. I had a small glass of fresh orange juice and a jam sandwich to treat the hypo. I have just done a bm a few hours later and by blood is 19.3. Has this happened to any one else? Why the Hugh increase in blood sugar? I have type 1.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Because you over treated the hypo.

For a low of 2.6 you probably needed somewhere between 15-25g of carb. You had at least 3 times that.

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Even though your BS went quite low you have to remember not to over correct it by consuming too many carbs. Its best to consume 15-25g of quick acting carbs and to test shortly after and if you are still too low then you consume 15-25g more carbs.

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even though your BS went quite low you have to remember not to over correct it by consuming too many carbs. Its best to consume 15-25g of quick acting carbs and to test shortly after and if you are still too low then you consume 15-25g more carbs.

That's right of course, but easier said than done when your body is saying "eat, eat, EAT"!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
That's right of course, but easier said than done when your body is saying "eat, eat, EAT"!

You must get used to it.. It is the only time my body says "eat, eat, eat" so I know well n truly what you say... But you must get into a habit of test n treat.. But nit excessively...

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Unfortunately its all about control. Its not good to go too low or too high. Im only Type 2 but I go low quite often and because I can recognise the signs quite early on I can quite often correct it quickly. In the past it was easy to grab the chocolate biscuits and pig out because I was low but Ive learnt that does more harm than good so now I only eat enough to bring my BS back into the 5s which is where I like it to be.

Suegrovess

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently the Diabetic nurse informed me that fresh orange juice is so concentrated. She said 200ml of juice is like eating 6 fresh oranges in one go. Maybe it has to do with the orange juice.

muggle666

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
it is more likely the juice, my dn nurse has told me to have juice because i dont eat enough carbs and there is plenty of carbs in juice, so by me having the juice i can have quick acting as my bs are always in the 20's. it is a long road for me to get them down so its not a worry but yes if you are going to treat hypo's with juice dont have anything else, then test again every 30 mins till they come up