problems !!

ryan1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
does anyone after eating feel like there legs are heavy and they experience a prickling sensation in both legs also a strange bilateral weakness in both knees i don't know if this is related to diabetes or whether it is carb related as i know carbs can cause strange problems i have had emg tests and they said my nerves are fine so I'm at a loss its basically like my legs stop working normally after eating and burn for hours after even when my blood sugar is ranging 5.5 to 8.4 i just don't understand

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sounds very similar to mine. Same with me.. Emg ok etc.

However I found out last week in 2003 a consultant thought I was allergic to aspartame and sweeteners.

I stopped chewing sugar free gum Friday and am checking everything.. No more diet cokes, or diet drinks ever again.. Although I never drank a lot.....

My legs have hugely improved just in days..

Do you have any diet products at all in your diet?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do get leg pains too. In the last few weeks it got worse. Im not sure if it has anything to do with going on a pump and constant supply of novorapid. Maybe novorapid causes it?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
A gp mentioned this a couple weeks ago to me and said there has not been any longterm studies on the effects of longterm pumping a constant supply of insulin.

Unfortunately he was not aware at the time of the missing letter not on my case notes. I've had trouble prior to 2003 with legs, pain and depression with loads of diagnosise being made and then overturned etc.

Even tonight I am now sat in comfort... Haven't been able to do this for years!!

Hope @ryan1990 comes back with whether he has any diet drinks or any foods with sweetener in. Just makes me wonder as he says "after food"......

I thought mine was after I sat down at night.. But was probably linked to chewing gum during the day!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi @ryan1990, notice on your profile page that you are taking Codeine for back pain, I wonder if the the two could be linked, if matters don't improve go back to your gp.

Reactions: 2 people

ryan1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you for the reply i am at a loss with it and i suspect i have some form of severe neuropathy which no one knows about :(

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
thank you for the reply i am at a loss with it and i suspect i have some form of severe neuropathy which no one knows about :(
Hi Ryan, if you have had nerve conduction tests and they are negative then the answer would be no you haven't. Please ask to be referred back to a neurologist so things can be looked at for you. An MRI of your neck, brain and back might be an option to see if there are any underlying causes.

Suzysuze1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Materialism
Hi Ryan for what it's worth I get that exact same effect in my legs after eating a meal containing carbs - it's usually the evening meal. The more carbs the worse the heaviness in legs and weakness in knees. I thought it was the glucose failing to get into the right cells...but don't really know enough about it.

ryan1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply :) it's so strange isn't it have you spoke to your doctor about it ? As I'm suspecting it's motor neuropathy of some kind as I am beginning to get foot drop now with it

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
does anyone after eating feel like there legs are heavy and they experience a prickling sensation in both legs also a strange bilateral weakness in both knees i don't know if this is related to diabetes or whether it is carb related as i know carbs can cause strange problems i have had emg tests and they said my nerves are fine so I'm at a loss its basically like my legs stop working normally after eating and burn for hours after even when my blood sugar is ranging 5.5 to 8.4 i just don't understand

My first complications with diabetes ( type 1 ) started with diabetic neuropathy of the upper legs and the upper arms. I had mostly a heavy feeling with severe weakness. I got to the point that I needed a few months with a walker to help me stand and walk. This was in my early 20's. Initially because my symptoms were atypical they ignored it until I got to the point I could no longer walk and they were able to diagnose me with Diabetic Amyotrophy. If it continues keep pushing for answers.

ryan1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is this due to poor control ? Or is it just idiopathic ?
My first complications with diabetes ( type 1 ) started with diabetic neuropathy of the upper legs and the upper arms. I had mostly a heavy feeling with severe weakness. I got to the point that I needed a few months with a walker to help me stand and walk. This was in my early 20's. Initially because my symptoms were atypical they ignored it until I got to the point I could no longer walk and they were able to diagnose me with Diabetic Amyotrophy. If it continues keep pushing for answers.

ryan1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hmm this is strange how are you now as i am told that diabetic amyotrophy goes away after a period of months ?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
The below article about diabetic amyotrophy says "The natural course of the illness is variable with gradual but often incomplete improvement." So, who knows what will happen :(

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8987131

But do keep pushing for answers. You need to know what is going on.

Anaelena

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hmm this is strange how are you now as i am told that diabetic amyotrophy goes away after a period of months ?

I have very severe neuropathy both in my extremities. It comes in waves for me . The first time it happened I was about 20 and lasted about 5 months. It started with general weakness and continued to get worse until I had to get a walker to walk . My legs loss most of its muscle. I could drive though. I was told that it is very uncommon for young people to get diabetic amyotrophy. That was one reason it took a while for me to get a diagnoses.. Since then I seem to go a few years and it returns. I can feel it starting to come on when I start getting pain with walking ( a burning pain) followed by weakness. The first time it occurred was so scary because I was confused and wasn't sure if it would go away . Each time I have needed walking sticks or a walker. I never had a severe foot drop but I do drag my feet because of the weakness. No medicine seem to help me either , neither did physical therapy.

ryan1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
that sounds awful what was your a1c ranging at this period ? and are you becoming better now ?