Type 2 Eyesight getting better. Normal?

DeanLJ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there

so I'm 1 week on from diagnosis (5 days from officla confirmation) and have been suffering from headaches which i've put down to blurred vision

Satuday morning (yesterday) I have discovered the glasses prescribed to me last October are now useless, my vision is blurred with them

I tried my old prescription glasses and I can see great.

My wakeup blood has gone from 22.5 a week ago to 14.1 today. I've drastically changed my diet, no refined sugar, minimal natural sugars and much lower carbs. these readings are after only 4 days (Wed to Sat) on 1 x 500mg Metformin.

blood readings were coming down daily before getting and starting the Metformin and everything is heading in the right direction

Is this sort of reversal normal after only 1 week? Don't get me wrong i'm so happy that what seemed to be a worsening eye condition is getting better but i am just so surprised by such a huge change. I am again wearing my glasses with a single prescription for all distances instead of the new prescription which required varifocals to be able to see close, mid and distance.

would love to understand this more and to hear similar stories

many thanks

Dean

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well done on your progress Dean.

High bg levels make the lens of the eyes swell and this in turn leads to blurry vision, in time your vision should return to normal once your bg levels have stabilised.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, but you may possibly find the state of your eyes might fluctuate - mine can do so sometimes with fairly minor glucose ups and downs - though they're otherwise OK diabetes-wise.

Robbity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this sort of reversal normal after only one week? No, not for everyone but you do seem to have started from a pretty bad place. Random test of 28 odd, fasting of 22.5 so you do seem to have been steeped in sugar for a while.

Read around the forum and you will find stories of personal experiences and no two are ever the same. There is a trend that says if you take a bit of control and eat less of foods containing carbohydrates then there is a benefit which outweighs the pills.

The best of luck to you.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

so I'm 1 week on from diagnosis (5 days from officla confirmation) and have been suffering from headaches which i've put down to blurred vision

Satuday morning (yesterday) I have discovered the glasses prescribed to me last October are now useless, my vision is blurred with them

I tried my old prescription glasses and I can see great.

My wakeup blood has gone from 22.5 a week ago to 14.1 today. I've drastically changed my diet, no refined sugar, minimal natural sugars and much lower carbs. these readings are after only 4 days (Wed to Sat) on 1 x 500mg Metformin.

blood readings were coming down daily before getting and starting the Metformin and everything is heading in the right direction

Is this sort of reversal normal after only 1 week? Don't get me wrong i'm so happy that what seemed to be a worsening eye condition is getting better but i am just so surprised by such a huge change. I am again wearing my glasses with a single prescription for all distances instead of the new prescription which required varifocals to be able to see close, mid and distance.

would love to understand this more and to hear similar stories

many thanks

Dean

Well done on making a difference, because the combination of your blood scores reducing and vision changing are signs you are making a difference. Bearing in mind your fasting score today was still 14.1, there's further to go, with your bloods at least, however your vision may change again along the way. So, whatever you do, don't rush to buy new glasses or indeed to have the lenses changed in your new ones. That could be costly.

DeanLJ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies folks. I have tried cutting the carbs but found it too much too soon.

I aim to lower carb intake but the experience of a couple of days last week shows me that I need to gradually reduce things.

I'm going to stick with the glasses I have for now and if I need to change them then it'll be 'El cheapo pairs.

I dropped over £1k on glasses last October (single vision computer, single vision distance, varifocals, custom lenses for my archery shooting glasses etc...)

Not gonna do the same until things stabilise

Goal is to get in to single figures for blood readings by the 13th when I see the practice nurse. Hoping to stay on the 1 x Metformin and manage by diet. Longer term is to come off Metformin altogether and just manage by diet.

Feeling very positive about the change in lifestyle right now. I sort of feel I've been given a second chance to live a long healthy life.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies folks. I have tried cutting the carbs but found it too much too soon.

It has often been said on this forum that lifestyle changes are for life, it's a marathon and not a sprint. You have the right attitude in that you are determined to fix things but if you try to do it in one or two weeks you might find the new lifestyle "unsustainable" which is jargon for going back to your old bad habits.

It's not about giving up things you like and eating carrots and lettuce leaves. It's about finding foods that might be new to you but which you enjoy just as much as the ones you ate in the past. Then give up or cut down on the harmful ones. If you do this a few times you end up with a personal menu which is different than before but just as enjoyable and one which you won't give up.

Occasional treats are OK but need discipline since these can be a slippery slope.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had large changes in my eyesight during the period pre diagnosis when my BG was high and my eyesight improved, then got worse rapidly when I changed my diet and my BG came down quite rapidly, then after 3 or 4 weeks my eyesight has gone back to how it was before. I think this is quite normal, and once you have gained control of your BG you will be back wearing your expensive glasses again with no issues.

DeanLJ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well had a reality check. blood sugar drops have stalled, hanging around 14 to 16 Fasting and between 12 and 16 before bed. The the 16's before bed are where i tried things and know not eat them again, at least for a while.

doesn't look like i'll get to single figures 'quickly' although i'm under extreme pressure/stress at work so that doesn't help :(

have just started taking a second 500mg Metformin in the evening so that's 1 in the morning and one in the evening. Doc wants me to build up to 2 morning and 2 evening (2000mg)

The food thing isn't a problem, my wife is an awesome cook and together we are 'inventing' good meals and substitutes. pretty much doing the LCHF thing but not as severe. Probably hitting 70g to 90g of carbs a day. weight is stable and dropping slowly.

Missing creamy mash and a cold beer on hot days but it's worth it to save my health

I guess i need to be patient and let things stabilise for a couple of more weeks