Pumps for sale??

Chachi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone.

I am looking at self finding a pump as I cannot get funding. Does anyone know where I can buy a second hand pump?

Thanks!!

Josh

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hello everyone.

I am looking at self finding a pump as I cannot get funding. Does anyone know where I can buy a second hand pump?

Thanks!!

Josh
Hi Josh, why have you been refused a pump?
You can't buy pumps in the UK as they are prescription only, same as consumables (cartridges and cannulas)

Reactions: 2 people

Chachi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Josh, why have you been refused a pump?
You can't buy pumps in the UK as they are prescription only, same as consumables (cartridges and cannulas)
Hi CarbsRok,

I am British but I live in New Zealand. I cant answer why I didn't qualify, as I don't really understand myself. I want to get on a pump as I am constantly having hypos (10-15 a week) despite taking about 6u (sometimes less) a day...

I do a lot of cycling.

I am keen to find out where you can get them from. Any ideas?

Thanks

Josh

Chachi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a thought. Does anyone know if the insulin used in a pump is similar/the same as a fast acting insulin like Nova Rapid?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi CarbsRok,

I am British but I live in New Zealand. I cant answer why I didn't qualify, as I don't really understand myself. I want to get on a pump as I am constantly having hypos (10-15 a week) despite taking about 6u (sometimes less) a day...

I do a lot of cycling.

I need to find out where you can get them?

Thanks

Josh
Josh all pumps in all countries are prescription only.
You need to ask your medical team why you can't have a pump then work on the reasons. Then if that doesn't work ask again for a pump.
Pumps are roughly £2800 and consumables about a bout £140 per month. If you can afford to buy then ask your medical team if you can do this under their supervision.

Do you carb count and are confident in doing correction doses?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just a thought. Does anyone know if the insulin used in a pump is similar/the same as a fast acting insulin like Nova Rapid?
Any bolus insulin works in a pump.

EchoIsGreat

Hi Josh
Sorry to hear you didn't get funding. You can buy pumps without a prescription, it's the insulin you need a precription for. I almost bought one a month ago as my Hospital couldn't supply the pump I wanted, so I went to the manufacturer and they quoted a VAT exempt price. The hospital said they would fund the canulas and reserviors as they already supplied those consumables for other pumps. In the end I switched hospital's to get a fully funded new pump. I have never seen a second hand pump for sale in the UK. I would be very careful before buying and have it fully checked by the manufacturer. If it's out of warranty, forget it.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Josh
Sorry to hear you didn't get funding. You can buy pumps without a prescription, it's the insulin you need a precription for. I almost bought one a month ago as my Hospital couldn't supply the pump I wanted, so I went to the manufacturer and they quoted a VAT exempt price. The hospital said they would fund the canulas and reserviors as they already supplied those consumables for other pumps. In the end I switched hospital's to get a fully funded new pump. I have never seen a second hand pump for sale in the UK. I would be very careful before buying and have it fully checked by the manufacturer. If it's out of warranty, forget it.
You can not in the UK buy a pump without medical authorisation. Your case is different you were offered a pump but not the pump you wanted. The authorisation has to be in writing as well. I know as been there and worn the Tshirt.
You can not buy a second hand pump in the uk either as it's illegal to sell prescription only items.
OP is in NZ though.

EchoIsGreat

Sorry it is not a prescription item and you can buy one without medical authorisation. I was one step from buying a new pump in May over the phone. I bought a NovoPen online several years ago without anything. Agreed I had been approved for a pump but I didn't need a piece of paper or a written approval to buy it, or a prescription, just a credit card. The prescription from my GP was to get insulin. Pumps are not in the BNF.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@EcholsGreat, none of the companies I spoke to last week to get pump prices would sell me a pump without authorisation from an appropriate medical person. Where were you buying from?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sorry it is not a prescription item and you can buy one without medical authorisation
It is prescription only as it's a medical device. I do know this as went through the process myself. Same with consumables.

Chachi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Josh
Thanks for the info. What manufacturer did you approach?