Holidays in the UK

Topmansmithy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
modern life
Wifey and I are trying to plan some sort of holiday with our doggy and last year we popped over to the Isle of Wight for a few days and had a fantastic time - we found a lovely beach which went on for miles and our little dog absolutely loved it. We are very tempted to go back but i was wondering where do you go for your your UK breaks - do you have a special/favorite place?- if you have a dog where do you go?-

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have friends who used to live near Porthmadog, in North Wales who had a large Old English Sheepdog that we used to take to the beach. There were (and presumably still are) some great beaches on the Lleyn Peninsula though I suspect a number of them have restrictions on dogs, particularly in high season. Have a look here.

North Devon has some great beaches - Croyde, Woolacombe and so forth - but again, I'm not sure about the dog situation. I've never been there, but friends of ours have been to the North East and say that, if the weather is good, some of the beaches up there are fabulous.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We love South Devon, around the South Hams area. They are very dog friendly down there, lots of shops leave bowls of water out for dogs and many pubs and cafes are dog friendly. Some of the beaches don't allow dogs but there are a few that do - our favourite is Mill Bay, just across from Salcombe, it's absolutely stunning. There are some beautiful walks around the South Hams, including some gorgeous coastal walks which we love.

Reactions: 2 people

Skydog76

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rap Music, Football, Rugby Union, Hipsters, The EU
West Cumbria, south of Seascale

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We go to the Lizard Peninsula in South Cornwall, where there is a good mix of beaches, some which do and some which don't allow dogs in high season. There are a couple that allow dogs post 7pm as well.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Northumberland for me,lovely sands in Bamburgh,lovely walks all over,Lindisfarn called Holy Island just north of Bamburgh is a must visit.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The Lakes for walks without a doubt, have been around this country of ours. I loved Scottish highlands and the lowlands! Been to South Wales, Been to Yorkshire Dales and the coast. Done all North Wales coast, Lancashire Coast as well! Not been around East Anglia, seen it too flat! Not been to Cornwall, Devon!
But if you haven't walked around the lakes, especially with dog(s) in tow. You definitely need to!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i love lowestoft and clacton in essex

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
The Gower Peninsula the other side of Swansea has to be seen to be believed. Beautiful clean beaches one of which is five miles long, nice cliff top walks. Some beaches you can drive onto others you have to climb down to but they have steps and siderails and the walk down is so worth it. Never overcrowded, not good for families with children but for a couple and a dog, pure heaven. It's pretty quiet as there is no fun fair/disco bars/lager louts or smelly chip stalls just a nice haven of beauty

Shecat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal harmers, Smoking, Ignorance, Rudeness
Scotland is Beautiful! I am a Scot and only have one thing to say to everyone thinking of holidaying up here and afraid of the midge - Avon Skin So Soft repels the little blighters stops them biting you, it forms a seal round your skin :) I use it!