Still pushing carbs and fruit

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Another one here to disagree with the OP. Gps are OK by me and simply losing weight has brought my blood sugar completely understand control. The Nhs approach works for me
For the 'classic' overweight T2, the right diet may get blood sugar back down to normal. It will normally need to be a low-carb diet but the amount of carbs can vary from person to person as the degree of diabetes will vary greatly. If, like me, you are nearer to T1 than T2 at diagnosis GPs can be useless as their training doesn't cover anything out of the ordinary. My two diabetes GPs just didn't get it and I had to use my knowledge from the Internet. Luckily my excellent DN has been great with providing my change to insulin. You may have been OK with NHS advice but many haven't been as the knowledge thay have can be very limited and it can be a matter of luck.

Reactions: 4 people

mikej1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with you entirely. Different people react in different ways.

G

graj0

For the 'classic' overweight T2, the right diet may get blood sugar back down to normal. It will normally need to be a low-carb diet but the amount of carbs can vary from person to person as the degree of diabetes will vary greatly.
'Classic'?

Reactions: 2 people

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
For the 'classic' overweight T2, the right diet may get blood sugar back down to normal. It will normally need to be a low-carb diet but the amount of carbs can vary from person to person as the degree of diabetes will vary greatly. If, like me, you are nearer to T1 than T2 at diagnosis GPs can be useless as their training doesn't cover anything out of the ordinary. My two diabetes GPs just didn't get it and I had to use my knowledge from the Internet. Luckily my excellent DN has been great with providing my change to insulin. You may have been OK with NHS advice but many haven't been as the knowledge thay have can be very limited and it can be a matter of luck.

Of course....we're all individuals, as mentioned earlier, that's why its so important to eat to your meter

Protea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
High carb food. Processed food. Any cold drinks.
Fortunately I don't live in Britain and my local GP agrees with my not so stringent LCHF diet. 10 years when on holiday
in the UK in July (our Winter your Summer) our GP daughter discovered my T2 diabetes. Great !! She said I should I
should not have medication but try diet. The diet was that universally used in the UK. "good" carbos, fruit and very low
fat. On getting home I looked into diet on the internet as this diet was not at all effective. Got a meter and strips. Found
references on the internet to diabetes some of which said that high carbo was to blame. I was not overweight at that time
so weight loss was not needed. Am now slightly underweight. Age now 79. Was cautious about fat until recently whenl I
read the work of University of Cape Town's Professor Noakes. Now I have as much butter and olive oil as I like and my
morning readings are good except when I go off the rails.
Don't blame your local doctors. They are only following the NHS orders. Might be in trouble if they don't.
Is the NHS ignorant of the latest trends? Keep on with pushing LCHF.
I'm still alive after 12 years on LCHF so it worked for me. May the force be with you !!

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I read Gary Taubes' article for NYT back in 2012 and it literally changed my life. I had been thinking that if I ate fewer carbs not more that my insulin level should fall, enabling me to lose weight. I had tried low GI and it didn't work for me and frankly, I hate porridge. Health care professionals get stuck in a rut. A nurse way bigger than me was lecturing me on eating porridge, when asked why, didn't know.

I read this and determined to reclaim control. It was the beginning of the journey but the most important step !

Reactions: 4 people

Protea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
High carb food. Processed food. Any cold drinks.
I read Gary Taubes' article for NYT back in 2012 and it literally changed my life. I had been thinking that if I ate fewer carbs not more that my insulin level should fall, enabling me to lose weight. I had tried low GI and it didn't work for me and frankly, I hate porridge. Health care professionals get stuck in a rut. A nurse way bigger than me was lecturing me on eating porridge, when asked why, didn't know.

I read this and determined to reclaim control. It was the beginning of the journey but the most important step !
I can't understand how porridge can be recommended. If I consumed it my GI would go through the roof next morning. I do miss eating porridge - not the oat version but the maize type ( mealie pap) but I don't. Manage on low GI but have no weight problems. Avoid carbs but sometimes succumb. Yesterday had a Greek style barbecue. A very small chicken continuously rotating over wood coals for over an hour by a small motor. Then three of us had it with salad. The higher carb followed - a low pastry melk (milk) tart. Shouldn't have had it but I did. GI this morning 6.9. That I can accept. Today will find a use for the left over chicken. Soup??
Perhaps your nurse is overweight because of the porridge!! I have no health professionals except very occasional visits to my GP. Your NHS seems determined to recommend the high carb low fat diet imported from the USA and which made most Americans overweight.
My only cost is the strips for my meter. My wife is not diabetic. Hence the melk tart!! T2 for about 14 years. Still alive and a BMI of 25. Would like to get the Cavan book but no delivery to RSA. All the best and may the force be with you.