Is my meter faulty?

LynDoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For 3 week my BG was dropping, I was down to 5.9 fasting. Then last week my readings all started going up. This morning I hour after breakfast my reading was 10.3. I can't test my blood too often as I'm waiting for some strips to arrive in the post.

I don't really think that my meter could be faulty as it only been used 10-12 times. I'm doing my best to cut back on the carbs, and have been eating more or less the same food this past month when my BG was dropping also my weight. I Just don't know what to do next.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
Hot weather, stress, illness or umpteen other reasons your bg can rise, I wouldn't think your meter is at fault. If I had to guess, it could most likely be the weather and you worrying about your Bg rising.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We've had hot weather in the UK this last week. Are you keeping your insulin cool? Just wondering if your sudden change in BG levels might be caused by damaged insulin.

LynDoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We've had hot weather in the UK this last week. Are you keeping your insulin cool? Just wondering if your sudden change in BG levels might be caused by damaged insulin.
I'm not on any meds or insulin. No other illnesses other than me/cfs and asthma.

Last edited by a moderator:

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, LynDoo, I didn't read your message carefully enough! :oops:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Meters are rarely faulty. You need to test 2 hours not 1 hour after a meal. Your reading at the 1 hour point is nothing to worry about. Also don't take too much notice of fasting results as they can be affected by the overnight liver dump.

LynDoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. Meters are rarely faulty. You need to test 2 hours not 1 hour after a meal. Your reading at the 1 hour point is nothing to worry about. Also don't take too much notice of fasting results as they can be affected by the overnight liver dump.
Hi Daibell,
It was the first time that I have ever tested at I hour. I decided to test then as I wasn't feeling very well shortly after my breakfast of scrambled egg, I slice of multigrain bread and coffee. By the 2 hour mark I was fine. This happened one day before I got my meter after eating a cherry scone. I then felt ill for about 3-4 hours. So no more scones.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@LynDoo, in the meter instruction manual it will say how to do a control solution test if you doubt the accuracy of the meter.

Barry Holt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Drivers who speed in built up areas
You need to do both high and low range to check meter