80mg Gluclizide to 40mg test

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Hi, I take 80mg Gliclazide per day. Also, 850x3mg Metformin. The Metformin is mild. The Gliclazide is relatively strong and requires attention to avoid hypoglycemia. I have been careful but occasionally it does happen, and it is quite unpleasant, and leading to sleeping after recovery of the typical symptoms, such as chest pain, etc. I cut this drug into two and take one for lunch and one for supper.

So, because I eat a very small breakfast, I experimented with leaving the 1/2 tablet and noticed that my bg is within the acceptable good diabetic range.

I wonder if that is something good to that, and if 80mg of g has more side effects than 40mg.

Thanks for any feedback. I have been diabetic for 5 yrs. and just came back from my dr. who reported excellent A1C and blood results, including createnine.

Thank you very much for reading.

Erin

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@Erin
Just thought, you are cutting your 80mg Glic in half. If you have a helpful HCP, ask him/her for a batch of Glic 40mg, which can itself be split to give 20mg, allowing finer tuning of doses:)

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Erin
Just thought, you are cutting your 80mg Glic in half. If you have a helpful HCP, ask him/her for a batch of Glic 40mg, which can itself be split to give 20mg, allowing finer tuning of doses:)
Lots of info here esp. the URLs- thank you Collie Boy. I seem to be ok in the blood glucose range at 40, cut in half as long as the food quantity is reduced especially at lunch; at supper I take the whole 40. I don't think 80mg with the hypos is very healthy for me. I just read an article in The Canadian Diabetes Assoc. that as you get older the hypos increase and cardiac arrests become likely. Fortunately my dr. did not increase the gliclazide dose even though some articles from the Big Study (ATTOCK?) encourage "tight control". Tight control is necessary if your blood numbers are outside the proper diabetes range.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Erin

Thanks, I am still testing. One week now on 40mg and I notice I do not have to struggle with hypoglycemia. However, I do have fatigue. So, it is a matter of risk/benefit. I think the hypo may be an adverse effect which in time may actually harm the heart and the brain. The fatigue is not too pleasant either. I have a pill cutter.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks, I am still testing. One week now on 40mg and I notice I do not have to struggle with hypoglycemia. However, I do have fatigue. So, it is a matter of risk/benefit. I think the hypo may be an adverse effect which in time may actually harm the heart and the brain. The fatigue is not too pleasant either. I have a pill cutter.

p.s. I forgot to mention that 80mg gliclazide was given to me 5 years ago when the diabetic team was trying to adjust, first with only the Metformin. But my bg was too high - 17. Then I was given the minimum glubutride by the diabetic nurse but my dr. thought it would be too high as i got frequent hypos. So the final decision was to give me 80mg gliclazide because they did not have 40mg in stock in Canada. I have noticed cognitive /memory, depression, tired and some hypos with this. I was very careful. Now I am trying 40mg and I feel a bit better, but it definitely gives a punch before supper when I take it, and the sometimes sleepiness after the meal. So, I wonder if the dose is significant in adverse effects. I think so.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, I take 80mg Gliclazide per day. Also, 850x3mg Metformin. The Metformin is mild. The Gliclazide is relatively strong and requires attention to avoid hypoglycemia. I have been careful but occasionally it does happen, and it is quite unpleasant, and leading to sleeping after recovery of the typical symptoms, such as chest pain, etc. I cut this drug into two and take one for lunch and one for supper.

So, because I eat a very small breakfast, I experimented with leaving the 1/2 tablet and noticed that my bg is within the acceptable good diabetic range.

I wonder if that is something good to that, and if 80mg of g has more side effects than 40mg.

Thanks for any feedback. I have been diabetic for 5 yrs. and just came back from my dr. who reported excellent A1C and blood results, including createnine.

Thank you very much for reading.

Hi, it is December 19, 2016 and I am practicing a new method of sharing spared hours between 40mg gliclazide, during the day. It seems that taking 2(40mg) in the morning depletes until supper time, and that may be a time problem. So I will try 40mg in the a.m., 40mg in the afternoon, and 40mg around 5:00pm. Wish me luck.

Erin