Forgotten to take insulin!!

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Has anyone else done this? Well I did today....my sugar was slowly going up, and I felt strange (Hard to describe the feeling), Then I hit me....****!! I forgot to do my jab :-( And I've had lunch now.... Panic!!
I have Novorapid just as a quick fix, and Mixtard for regular jabs. I hope I did the right thing by injecting Novorapid 4 units, and 12 Mixtard (Normally on 20 units in the morning).

I guess time will tell now if I did do the right thing?

jackvdbuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i highly suggest checking your blood one hour after injecting. if its mixtard 30 this also has fast acting insulin and may take you too low shortly.

source: hypo after doing what you have done ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Yes done it a few times now.. :nailbiting: Nothing worse than driving to work and remembering I forgot to take my basal, and driving back in a panic as well as being late for work..

Hope your ok ;)

Reactions: 6 people

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi Jack, thanks for the reply.....been checking and it's gone from 5.5 before lunch, to 7.2 after lunch and now 9.2 and all within 2 hours....hope it starts to back up a bit, getting a little worried now!

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Hi Juicyj, I've forgotten a few times as well, however, never this late! Old age creeping up on me :)

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I'm sure you will be back down again soon, just test in case you do come crashing down, I tend to feel hypo when BG crashes suddenly although I can still be safe. I have adjusted to an imperfect life living with type 1, every day has a new challenge :wacky:

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
We are all perfect in one way or another Juicyj.....Even with, or without diabetes ;) And hope you stay safe too.....
BTW....I just tested again 9.5.....might have a tiny bit of NovoRapid again....Feels like the right thing to do.

And I went to the shops and done another stupid thing....bought some of my favorite biscuits ''Digestives''!! Just in case my sugar does drop....but thinking about it, they will probably send it back up again.....If anyone wants some biscuits....there in my cupboard :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have done that more than once :rolleyes: I have 1/2 doses on my pen ( novoRapid) so I can just take a little if a higher correction dose isn't pulling it's weight. Sometimes I say I shouldn't be in charge of myself ;) Hope your BS settles down very soon.

Best wishes
RRB

Last edited by a moderator:

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Thanks Robinredbreast! I'm with you on the quote....I too should not be in charge of myself he he he he....very dangerous indeed :)
I've just done another 4 units of NovoRapid.....But that's it now, won't do any more.
I used to be on Actrapid a few years back....So if it's the same as NovoRapid, 4 units should be OK. We will see.....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks Robinredbreast! I'm with you on the quote....I too should not be in charge of myself he he he he....very dangerous indeed :)
I've just done another 4 units of NovoRapid.....But that's it now, won't do any more.
I used to be on Actrapid a few years back....So if it's the same as NovoRapid, 4 units should be OK. We will see.....

Good luck, Robcz, I used to be on Actrapid too and night time was Insultard.

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Good luck to you too mate ......Starting to feel much better now....time to test :)

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
So I am back to 4.5 on the test strips......I would like to know what you guys would do now? I am ready for my next Mixtard injection of 12 units. Do I...
1 Take after dinner?
2. Cut the amount in half?
3. Take it as usual?
I'm thinking to lower the units to maybe 10.....and take after dinner.....???

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Just to finish this thread.....Took 10 units of Mixtard just after dinner, fell asleep, and tested at 7:30 pm = 4.9 :)

vix107

I used to be on actrapid too and I find it very similar apart from the length of time it takes to kick in is shorter!! now I solely use novorapid for meals and levemire as my long acting base dose. I find it handy as if I do forget to inject before a meal it doesn't matter too much since the novorapid works so quickly!! x

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Yes vix107, it definitely helped me today.....
You know what? I always thought Actrapid never worked for me, and even the doctor was puzzled.... telling me to inject more, or try to inject in different locations on the body (Thinking there was a problem with bruising) Ended up with 4 injections a day!!! .....Well now I believe it wasn't the Actrapid, but the diet.....Now I have 2 injections a day :) A great diet thanks to the guys on here.....And no problems so far...Only when I forget to do the injections :)

carol anne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mashed potato
What's worse is when yu think yu have and not when yu do it so often sometimes yu are convinced that yu had your insulin thank God I have my pump now

Robcz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people
Can't do the pump carol anne, it scares me....
I do have an update!!....Hope this helps others.
Starting to sweat, so tested the BS again..... 3.2 now, looks like it's heading south :-( Better do something about it, or I'll be writing gibberish soon :)

Cashmere

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jack, thanks for the reply.....been checking and it's gone from 5.5 before lunch, to 7.2 after lunch and now 9.2 and all within 2 hours....hope it starts to back up a bit, getting a little worried now!

You will need to check levels after evening dose. Hope all is well

NowClosed11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone forget to take night time slow realise it in morning at all
I have ... Few times
Oh and I was 28.9 about an hour ago
I forgot my lunch one hit of 6 units lol
Oh well