advice please

NatalieJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all iv been a type 2 diabetic for 4years now, it's only been the past few months I have took it seriously.
Just wanted to know if any experiences mood swings? I'm having a few each day and get so teary which is very unlike me. I have a happy life so ddon't get why this is happening.
euurrggghhh

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi all iv been a type 2 diabetic for 4years now, it's only been the past few months I have took it seriously.
Just wanted to know if any experiences mood swings? I'm having a few each day and get so teary which is very unlike me. I have a happy life so ddon't get why this is happening.
euurrggghhh

Hi Natalie,
High blood sugars can affect your moods. What levels are yours at? What meds are you on?

NatalieJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on metformin 500 mg 2 twice a day. My levels are no more then 7.9 ( apart from when I have something I shouldn't which isn't often).

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I'm on metformin 500 mg 2 twice a day. My levels are no more then 7.9 ( apart from when I have something I shouldn't which isn't often).

Oh well, that's that theory out the window! Maybe ask the quack and check if anything else is going on?

NatalieJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do however crash out after having a sugary intake and when I wake I feel like iv had a night of drinking :(

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to crash out for 4 hrs at a time and no one could wake me up then when I awoke Id feel like I was hit by a bus. It means your BS is spiking really high so it might be best to try to limit the sugar. Also the mood swings could be due to fluctuating BS or it could be your body getting used to your BS being lower most of the time as it does take your body time to adjust especially if it has been high for a long time

NatalieJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's such a horrible feeling. I feel like I'm being a pain in the ass as I speak about it so much to family and friends about diabetes. i never took it serious before but now I'm really making changes

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can relate to that, you get diagnosed and everyone goes oh no and then they forget about it, what they dont realise is its a lifetime thing. My hubby is the worst. Dont ever feel likw you arw veing a pain in the ass, it us your health and it is important and I congratulate you on being pro active about it. I guess that us why I come on the forums so much now I just find it a great place to be. Stick with us and you will be fine.

Reactions: 4 people

NatalieJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes most definitely a great place it's nice to see others views or problems.. and rather then have the rolling eyes off people I can now come on here and talk. X

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @NatalieJ welcome to the forum, well it always good to talk, sometimes friends and families do not understand what we go through, so it nice to come on here and talk with people who know

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It's such a horrible feeling. I feel like I'm being a pain in the ass as I speak about it so much to family and friends about diabetes. i never took it serious before but now I'm really making changes

So when are you testing? Do you test before meals and after? 1hr after? 2hrs after? Are you sure that you're catching any spikes that might be happening?

NatalieJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Spikes? What's those? Iv been told to test once a day so either and hour before or an hour after food or first thing in the morning.

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi Nataliej. You should be testing in the morning when you wake up and also if you want before any meal and then 2 hours later to see what you have eaten as given you a spike , meaning your blood sugar to rise , so you can then see what you have eaten to cause it , also before evening meal and 2 hours later is good to test too

It always advisable to test 2 hours later

NatalieJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Iv only started testing as trying to conceive so docs told me to test once a day. My dosage of metfofmin got upped to 2 twice a day. But yes will do another test in the morning :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi NatalieJ
welcome to the forum :)
I have just read through the whole topic and I think your blood sugars could be much higher than the 7.9 you told us about earlier.
the mood swings is indicative and you not being aware of spikes leads me to this conclusion.

I see you are trying to conceive and I am sure your doctors will want your blood sugars well controlled for a pregnancy so first thing is to start testing about 6 times a day -- before each meal and 2 hours after each meal.
this will give a clear idea of where your levels are.
you will need to get more strips -- so when you ask for them explain that you are trying to get pregnant and need to keep a close eye on where they are at all times.

it would also make a lot of sense to have a look at the low carb section of the forum as there are many delicious alternatives to the traditional potatoes , rice , or pasta based meals that is eaten in the uk.

link here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/

good luck with your new found determination and keep us posted on how the bloods are doing as well as any expecting news

all the best

Reactions: 4 people

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @NatalieJ Yes i would test before and after each meal and then you will have a better idea of your blood sugars and then reduce the amount you test as you get to know more about your spikes.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Iv only started testing as trying to conceive so docs told me to test once a day. My dosage of metfofmin got upped to 2 twice a day. But yes will do another test in the morning :)

Unfortunately, I think that Doc's don't give T2's the recognition they deserve. Most of the T2's on this forum test more regularly than once or twice a day.

Hope you get it sorted and good luck with the baby.

NatalieJ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much guys :) totally agree about doctors I'm currently on the xpert diabetes course and learning more. Even the course leader there said that the doctors don't know much about diabetes.. so glad I have found this group. And thank you so much for messaging me back :) x

TyTy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
you welcome @NatalieJ ask questions that what the forum about

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
NatalieJ, I crossed over from pre-diabetes to diabetes in 2006. I also didn't take it seriously enough, but I, like you, am now.

As a type 2 diabetic, testing frequently is the BEST gift I gave myself this year. By switching to the cheapest test strips available with the meter needed for them, I was able to reduce my cost from 88 cents to 18 cents a strip. :)

So exciting that you're trying to get pregnant!

Here's what I've learned to tightly control my blood glucose since I was re-diagnosed with T2D in mid-February.

When I'm eating well and my blood glucose is stable, I test 4 times a day: fasting upon awakening, and 2-hours post each meal. Initially I allowed myself small snacks of nuts, cheese, avocado, or raw vegetables dipped in plain yoghurt, but greatly cut back on snacking over time. Eating every 4 hours works well for me now.

When I get a spike in blood sugar, I add testing before meals too until my blood glucose comes back down and stays down. Two hours post meal, my blood glucose typically goes up 20 mg/dL (1.1 mmol/L), sometimes more, but in the beginning, it might go up 40 mg/dL (2.2 mmol/L).

When I get a spike in blood glucose 2-hours post dinner, I go for a walk then test again to insure my level is low enough before going to bed. (And if it's still higher than I want it be, I'll stay up and drink a glass of water over an hour period, then test one more time). Doing one or both of those things has really helped to lower my fasting and post-meal blood glucose levels over time. :)

Diet, daily exercise, and drinking water make the biggest difference of course. Any reasonably healthy diet will work so long as it eliminates or greatly limits sugary, processed foods and foods cooked in vegetable oils; and encourages eating whole, nutrient dense, plant based foods that are high in fiber.

A book that does a great job of overviewing the science on what is known about unhealthy and healthy eating is Fat Chance by Robert Lustig, MD. He's a pediatric endocrinologist at University of California, San Francisco (UCLA) who specializes in treating obese infants, children, and adolescents, sometimes the parents too. (Insulin resistance is a common cause of obesity in children). I read the first couple of chapters then skipped to the chapters in Part V that explain how to eat and how to reduce insulin resistance. (Eventually, I'll go back and read the mid-chapters).

I eat eggs, meat, poultry, fish, and seafood too, cheese, nuts - (raw or roasted without added oil) - as well as butter, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, green olives, pimientos removed, and avocados. I try to eat leafy greens and/or non-starchy vegetables at every meal, raw, steamed, or pan fried in butter or coconut oil.

Starchy, root vegetables and legumes are fine in small amounts, as are berries, but I prefer to not eat fruit as it spikes my blood sugar too much. But again, berries in small amounts are fine. I love a few sliced fresh strawberries on my daily salad at lunch. I use a big bowl, and lots of leafy greens and vegetables - (a quarter of red and green peppers, a quarter of a carrot julienned, 1 or 2 cherry tomatoes). I often add mushrooms, or nuts, or cheese too. Adding a slice of red cabbage adds color and bulk so I don't get hungry until dinner.

I feel best when I eat foods that include a protein, fat, and a whole-food carbohydrate at every meal.

For an alternative to sugary dressings, I use vinaigrettes. I use 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil with 1 tablespoon red or white wine vinegar. There are lots of vinagrette recipes to choose from online.

For exercise, I walk, typically an hour or more after dinner to clean up any left over, excess glucose in my blood so I get off to a good start the next day.

I found that by eliminating sugar, flours, and corn meal from my diet, fruit too, I was able to get off the up and down carbohydrate roller coaster. By that I mean, every time I eat something made with sugar or flour, I get really hungry within an hour or two. And another benefit of giving up sugar is that within a few days to a few weeks, food will taste so much better - (sugar dulls our sense of taste).

For an after dinner treat, one small glass of red wine or some dark chocolate, 70% cocoa or higher is good, or perhaps a few fresh berries is lovely.

I find that drinking green tea after breakfast and again after lunch calm or eliminate the desire to snack, but if I'm really hungry, it's better to eat a healthy snack, particularly in the beginning.

If I need a sweetener, I use Stevia in liquid extract form because it's natural and has no effect on glucose. The only time I've used it since I began this journey in February has been to sweeten the whipped cream for in season berries as a special treat.

One of the things that testing frequently will do is help you determine how different foods affect your blood glucose levels.

Once you become pregnant, the doctors will want you to tightly control your blood glucose levels. Knowing how foods affect you ahead of time will greatly enhance your ability to manage your blood glucose levels throughout your pregnancy.

Wishing for you a happy and pleasant pregnancy. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people