Hi new first timer

cowboy43

I have been diagnosed with type 2 and was on diet and Avorstatin for the last two months I'm now on metformin as of today and I'm feeling quite bad today my blood is 14.8 and I'm not sure what to do any advice I feel nauseous thx Jim

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Can you tell us your typical diet and BMI; also age? Is your diet a low-carb one? If you are on plain Metformin it can cause nausea for a week or tweo, but if it is or becomes a problem then ask the GP to change it to Metformin SR, the Slow Release version, which is much kinder

SueB743

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. Hope you feel better soon

cowboy43

Hi I'm 49 don't know my bmi nobody told me about that and my diet is normal food at the moment I'm waiting to go to a class on diabetes I'm all over the place not sure what I'm doing I only got tennis with nurse today first since I was told two months ago they tell me to change my diet but don't know what to was told not to check my blood to as there is no need only do it when I feel bad so I'm male 49 5"8 17 and a half stone lost nearly a stone since diagnoses

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @cowboy43

I'm going to tag @daisy1 as she has some excellent information that you should find useful.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi cowboy, welcome to the forum and Daisy1 has a lot of reading for you. It's confusing to start with but you'll soon get the picture and all being well will start to feel better. Lot of experienced advice available from people who've been there, done that and some have even got the T-shirt.
Liked the idea of tennis with the nurse.

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. I know how horrible I felt when I was first diagnosed. The most important thing is to start to cut down on the carbs, it is the key to getting your BS under control. Also I've found it essential to have a meter otherwise you don't know what foods spike you and what ones you can tolerate. It is all a bit much to take in at first but you will get there. A lot of the information you will get from your GP or DN will contradict what you will learn here but be rest assured you are in the right place, there are a lot of helpful people here.

Reactions: 2 people

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diagnosed with type 2 and was on diet and Avorstatin for the last two months I'm now on metformin as of today and I'm feeling quite bad today my blood is 14.8 and I'm not sure what to do any advice I feel nauseous thx Jim
Hi and welcome. I was diagnosed 1 yr ago type2 insulin and I'm still struggling to get to grips with it all. Totally ignorant about carbs. Get the carbs and calls book. I'm still trying to get my head round all the different probe and issues but this site and all the peeps are fab. Don't think I would have so called coped if it wasn't for the threads, there's always a friend when needing one. Best of luck going forward ....we will get there!!!!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm 49 don't know my bmi nobody told me about that and my diet is normal food at the moment I'm waiting to go to a class on diabetes I'm all over the place not sure what I'm doing I only got tennis with nurse today first since I was told two months ago they tell me to change my diet but don't know what to was told not to check my blood to as there is no need only do it when I feel bad so I'm male 49 5"8 17 and a half stone lost nearly a stone since diagnoses
Hi @cowboy43 welcome to the forum. It's confusing to begin with particularly when you're not sure what you can and can't eat. I didn't used to test but decided to get a meter anyway just out of curiosity more than anything. However I was surprised to discover that the foods that I had been led to believe were healthy such as pasta, whole meal bread, jacket potatoes and low fat foods were, in fact, causing my BS to rise! Through testing I have been able to determine what I can eat safely, with caution or not at all. In addition I have also lost at least 3 stone by eating low carb and full fat foods. If you haven't got a meter my advice is to invest in one and test before and after each meal to see what affect that food has on your BS. Eventully you will know what you can and can't eat. Unfortunately we are all different so what may raise my BS somebody else can eat and vice versa. Good luck and you'll get there in the end.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thanks for the reply. As others have said, a low carb diet is the key. It will help you lose weight and have reduced blood sugar. Just keep at it and it will work.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

It is all very confusing, but you will soon get your head round things. Diet is the key to control, and a meter is necessary. It is a very essential tool in helping you learn which foods you personally can cope with. We all have different tolerances. Some can eat a slice of bread, others can't have any at all, but your meter will tell you what you can manage. It is all down to cutting carbs and portion control on the carbs you do eat. Test immediately before you eat and then again 2 hours after your first bite. Look at the rise. Anything above a rise of 2mmol/l is too much and means there is something in that meal you need to either avoid or reduce.

Metformin is a good safe drug, but is not a miracle cure. It will only help to a limited extent.

Have a read of this thread, which you may find very useful. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/