Pump choices and usage

bobjk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I have been told i should try a pump - any recommendations? And once you begin using a pump - do you need the pens anymore?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
See what choice of pumps your hospital team have to offer then weigh up the pro's & con's of each one, most are tubed pumps but there are tubeless pumps available like the Omnipod.

You still need your insulin pens as a back-up in case your pump fails or your having problems with infusion sets, these will remain on your prescription and you'll be told what to do in the event that you have problems with a pump.

If you want to know more about insulin pumps and the process involved in getting one on the NHS then have a read of the following:

http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/alt-insulin-pumps/

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
As you are type 2 I'm surprised you have been offered a pump as it's not NHS policy.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As you are type 2 I'm surprised you have been offered a pump as it's not NHS policy.

I think that's changing.... I went to an event recently where INPUT had a stand... they said that they're starting to campaign for type 2's to have the same access to pumps as type 1's....

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi
I have been told i should try a pump - any recommendations? And once you begin using a pump - do you need the pens anymore?

Love my 640g -- but it's my first pump so I don't have anything to compare it to....

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think that's changing.... I went to an event recently where INPUT had a stand... they said that they're starting to campaign for type 2's to have the same access to pumps as type 1's....
Marvellous. Even less CCG funding to go around!

Reactions: 4 people