Processed foods to avoid that are low carb

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone got a list or suggestions of what low carb foods to avoid for example tinned ham would that be one?

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you exactly mean by low carb foods to avoid, most people are the opposite and are looking for low carb foods that they can eat.

bladerfc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just mean is there any that although low carb you should avoid because although low carb not very good for you like the tinned ham as it's processed or is that fine that's what I'm curious of

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just mean is there any that although low carb you should avoid because although low carb not very good for you like the tinned ham as it's processed or is that fine that's what I'm curious of

I've changed the title of the thread to reflect what you have said above @bladerfc

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In general any low-carb food is fine, but you might want to check salt levels and any other additives you feel you don't want. Protein and fats are OK.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah yes that makes a lot more sense now. Sorry I cant be of much help ther. I live in NZ and out low carb range over here is virtually non existent.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd say avoid processed food. Or at least read labels very carefully but some ingredients are never written on there anyway.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
bladerfc, a good place to start is to check out Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, 4th edition by Richard Bernstein, MD from the library, and read chapters 10 - 13. It includes a lot of "eat this not that" lists and will go a long way to support you in your new way of eating. Dr. Bernstein was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 12. Now in his 80's, he continues to treat patients with diabetes, and more impressive to me is that he's healthy, active, and has no diabetic complications. :)

For now, as mentioned above, begin by eliminating processed foods from your diet, typically sugary beverages, and items that contain sugar, flour, and cornmeal as much as possible, and any foods cooked in vegetable oils. Increase whole, nutritionally dense, plant based foods like leafy greens, non-starchy vegetables, and berries that are rich in nutrients and fiber. Eliminate or greatly limit sugar, grains, fruit, starchy vegetables, and legumes.

Constipation, due to greatly reducing carbohydrate intake, can be avoided by drinking lots of water, eating fiber rich, whole foods such as non-starchy vegetables, nuts, and seeds - (small seeds are ground, larger eaten whole; chia seeds usually are soaked in water before adding to food) - and/or taking 400 to 1,000 mg magnesium citrate a day. I take 150 mg with each meal. (Note: Ground seeds can trigger a flare for those people who have IBD or IBS: I'm one of those people but most have no problem with seeds).

As you stop eating processed foods, you'll need add salt to your diet. Some people do it by drinking 1 to 2 cups broth a day, others add salt to their food. I dissolve 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt in hot water, stir well, and drink it like you would broth. Fatigue, headaches, body aches, difficulty focusing indicate that you need salt.

Giving up sugary beverages, bread, baked goods, crackers, chips and potatoes is the hardest part admittedly, but there are tips and strategies that work. If you post a food that you're trying to give up, and ask for substitutions, members will give you lots of ideas.

Include a fat, protein, and whole food carbohydrate with each meal.

Healthy fats are butter, ghee, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, animal fats. For now, I continue to use butter (or ghee) to pan fry at lower temperatures, because extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil can be damaged and made unhealthy to consume if heated too much.

To avoid using salad dressings made with sugar and vegetable oils, make a vinaigrette of 2 parts oil and 1 part acid - (vinegar or lemon juice). I often use 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon red or white wine vinegar, shake and pour. Search for other vinaigrette recipes online. I eat a large salad made with a variety of pre-washed and packaged leafy greens, a slice of cabbage, a quarter of a red and green pepper, a quarter of a carrot, julienned, 1 or two cherry tomatoes, sometimes sliced mushrooms too. For protein I add nuts and cheese. A boiled egg or chicken or bacon could be added too.

Meat, poultry, fish, and seafood, eggs and other sources of protein can be pan fried, sauted, broiled, baked, grilled, steamed or boiled. Greatly limit or no deep frying because most oils are high in omega 6's or are easily heat damaged and made unhealthy to consume.

Healthy snacks are 1 ounce of nuts, raw or roasted without added oil and cheese, raw, non-starchy vegetables dipped in plain, unsweetened yogurt, preferably not low fat, green olives, pimientos removed, and avocado.

After dinner treats might be a square of dark chocolate, 70% cocoa content or higher, a 4 ounce glass of red wine, fresh berries, perhaps with nuts and/or cream, a spoon of peanut butter, preferably made with peanuts and salt only that you have to stir then refrigerate. (There is no easy way to do this, but it's worth it).

Whipped cream can be sweetened with a few drops of Stevia liquid sweetener, a natural sugar that does not affect blood glucose levels, or spices like cinnamon.

Weigh yourself, take your waist measurement, and get a lipid panel that includes total cholesterol, triglycerides, LDH, and HDL done if you can so you know what your baseline is before or shortly after you start eating low carb. :)

Welcome to a healthier way of eating for diabetes. Post questions as you go... :)

Last edited by a moderator: