Pre diabetes

Bethsmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am under the doctor and due to see the nurse on Wednesday, I've had 2 blood glucose tests a month apart, 1st one was 6.4 and the second 6.3, I've been told with pre diabetes you have no symptoms, but I am constantly tired, I have headaches all the time, dry mouth and thirsty and even have a dark patch of skin around my neck, itchy feet and a number of other symptoms I've been like this for around 5/6 months but only just been doctors, I thought I was boarder line, but when getting my results the other day, she said the results are between 3.5 and 6. Mines over that, so do I have diabetes ? I have some very bad tremors and tiredness after eating sometimes Many thanks

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
A very warm welcome to you @Bethsmum. I'll tag @daisy1 who will give you some initial information that will help you - whether you have pre-diabetes or full blown diabetes. Your symptoms could be anything, and you really need to get a diagnosis from a GP. In the meantime have a read of Daisy1's information and it won't hurt you at all to cut down on bread, potatoes, rice and pasta.

Reactions: 2 people

Bethsmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou, it's playing on my mind, and because I feel so dreadful at the moment I thought I'd ask opinions on here :)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Bethsmum

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope it will help you. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Bethsmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou, do you think that's right, my doctor said the levels are between 2.5 and 6 for the blood glucose test and mine was 6.4 and 6.3 so I am above that, so wasn't sure what the doctor ment by that

Bethsmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose I'm
Just wondering what to expect when I go to the doctors on Wednesday

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whether it is pre diabetes or diabetes your plan of attack should be the same. Start looking at your diet and look at reducing your carbs. I find having a meter invaluable so if you have the means it might pay to get one

Reactions: 2 people

Bethsmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou, I am going to get myself a meter, is there any particular type I should get ? Or is anyone ok

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry I can't really help you there, I live in NZ and our meters are different over here but someone should be along shortly who can answer that for you or you could post a new question specifically asking.

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Based on advice on here I bought the Code Free metre - the strips for it are the cheapest, I gather. I've found it very easy to use x

Bethsmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that on Amazon and was thinking about that, thankyou

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your results indicate pre-diabetes. For a fasting blood glucose test, the cut off point for full blown diabetes is normally 7. However, I suggest you ask for another test - an HbA1c test. This is the test used to diagnose diabetes. Fasting BG tests are notoriously unreliable. It may put your mind at rest.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, pre-diabetes or diabetes, a change in diet will help.

But I have a question, if Bethsmum successfully brings her blood glucose levels below pre-diabetes levels, prior to receiving her diagnosis, will the doctors stop monitoring her? In other words, are there any disadvantages to not getting diagnosed due to change in diet and reduction of blood glucose to normal levels prior to being properly diagnosed? :)

Bethsmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have to see the doctor today, I've had 2 fasting blood glucose tests, so think they are just using them , wasn't sure as the symptoms I've had are quite bad, especially the goin to the toilet and the butted vison, but thought you didn't get symptoms with pre diabetes

Bethsmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just been doctors and had another blood test, had hbA1c test, await the results in a few days.

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thankyou, I am going to get myself a meter, is there any particular type I should get ? Or is anyone ok

The Caresens meter is EXCELLENT, I use it every day and am very satisfied. I was diagnosed as prediabetic about 2.5 years ago and through diet and exercise have been able to get normal blood glucose values. You have come to a great place , with many wonderful people that freely share their rich experiences.
So that you are already off to a great start, just read the forums, ask plenty of questions and always remember "there are no stupid questions, only questions unasked' All the best .