insulin and the DVLA.

smigger62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not having food and beer
Going on insulin next week. iv have to inform DVLA and apparently need.a.medical every 3 years..is it worth the hassle I couldn't get by without a car.school runs grandkids etc...should I stay on tablets. .I have type 2

M

mrspuddleduck

Im just going through the process, have sent off the forms to the DVLA and waiting for the verdict!! No not everyone needs a medical every three years. The DVLA have the right to request one, but usually they just ask your GP or Consultant to confirm what you have declared on the form and that they are happy for you to drive. I was really worried about it because I live in a rural area and wouldnt be able to manage at all without a car, but when I phoned the DVLA they were actually very helpful and reassuring! Sue xxxx

smigger62

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not having food and beer
Thanks for taking the time. To reply sue..good luck

Reactions: 2 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Going on insulin next week. iv have to inform DVLA and apparently need.a.medical every 3 years..is it worth the hassle I couldn't get by without a car.school runs grandkids etc...should I stay on tablets. .I have type 2
@smigger62
Whether you stay on tablets depends on whether the Diet/Exercise/Tablets route can take you to where you want/need to go, both in terms of BG and lifestyle.
I was lucky in that i managed to remove the insulin, then Glic as I didn't want the hassle of insulin!
IMHO, even on insulin you need to control the Diet/Exercise!
If you don't really feel comfortable with insulin and your pancreas han't completely failed, I would ask your HCP for some other options.

soroba1951

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people!
Hi smigger62, I have been type 1 on insulin for 38 years and have a licence which is renewed every 3 years. I have never had any problems. Just filled in the forms honestly, I have never been asked to have a medical, as yet. My friend who had a bad Hypo within the last 3 months before filling in forms was asked to have a medical though, so depends on your control etc.

Good luck!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It not a hassle really.............

When its time for renewal they send a form in plenty of time and filling it in is as much as you need to do..........

they will contact your consultant or GP who will confirm if your fit to drive, which will be a yes unless your having big problems with hypos, which you would know about anyway...

I don't think its a question of should you stay on tablets.......if you need insulin then that takes priority......

its up to you in the end though, it sounds like it wouldn't be that bad not driving, but its always good to have the option just in case.....

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
It not a hassle really.............

When its time for renewal they send a form in plenty of time and filling it in is as much as you need to do..........

they will contact your consultant or GP who will confirm if your fit to drive, which will be a yes unless your having big problems with hypos, which you would know about anyway...

I don't think its a question of should you stay on tablets.......if you need insulin then that takes priority......

its up to you in the end though, it sounds like it wouldn't be that bad not driving, but its always good to have the option just in case.....
@novorapidboi26

I agree that IF you need Insulin, you need insulin, but if the OP is unsure, he needs to discuss the options!
but he says "...I couldn't get by without a car.school runs grandkids etc.."
so your "... it sounds like it wouldn't be that bad not driving, " seems like you are missing his point!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
misread the post was what actually happened............

sitting in front of this PC all morning takes it toll.....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@smigger62 62, all I would say about filling in the medical form is to check and double check it, if you make a mistake it can delay and complicate matters, but overall the form is pretty straight forward but you'll need to know the dates that you last attended your gp practise or hospital diabetes clinic.

Good luck and hope all goes well.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Smigger have you seen the low carb forums on here and is it something you would consider doing in order to stave off the need for insulin, potentially? If so, have a read and have a go as it might just help you avoid insulin. Doesn't work for everybody but for a lot of people it has worked wonders.

Ali

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. If you need insulin then you need insulin. If however you are T2 and overweight and not low-carbing then you have the solution :)