Biryani

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
just had a collieflower rice vegetarian biryani ..... It was amazing ...could not photograph as I had eaten it !
Well worth the effort .. Will photograph the next one .. When the wife makes it again :angelic:

Reactions: 10 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have a homemade curry at least once a week. I use pattaks as a sauce and get a few servings from it!

Reactions: 4 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooooooooo I remember thoes sauces .. Yummy .. its been a while as the wife won't use anything from a jar or a tin ..apart from horseradish sauce !
Edit to add ....and coconut oil ....

Last edited by a moderator:

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds nice. Could you possibly share how your good lady wife made it please? Doesn't need full recipe, just how the cauli rice was cooked in relation to the whole dish

Reactions: 2 people

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooo I had forgotten about currys....need to investigate a low carb version :)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds nice. Could you possibly share how your good lady wife made it please? Doesn't need full recipe, just how the cauli rice was cooked in relation to the whole dish
I was watching ! :happy: She has a little sauce pan that she puts in cardamom seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leafs and saffron ..these are heated Gentley in a little warm pre boiled water ..... In a wok she puts in shredded onion ...with coconut oil ...when the onions are soft she added a small sliced carrot, sliced brockley stalk, and mushroom ... Then she chopped up the collieflower after grating her thumb .. Big blue plaster added to thumb and more coconut oil added to onion vegetable mix.... Now a few string beans are added and the collieflower minus the blood from thumb is stired in and the liquid from the little sauce pan is added ..its reduced down quite a lot so there is not a lot of liquid ..then a few more sprigs of saffron ( omg .. That's very expensive!) and lid on for a few moments ..then dished up with a vegetable curry and topped with a sliced egg.... And onion salad :smug: yummmmmmmmm
Think there were other curry spices in the onion pan ..but was distracted when they were added..hope this helps .. The collie was not crunchy..nor soft ..just right ..

Edit to add ... Apparently she warms the cardamom pods, cloves and cinnamon stick .. Before adding the water ... According to the wife it has to be warmed pre boiled cup full of water !

This with a veg curry and onion salad took less than a hour to prepare and cook .. Yum

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If the blood from the thumb goes in I suppose it's no longer vegetarian?;) Sounds lovely Enclave, thanks for sharing!

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Enclave. Is the cauli cooked at all before adding to the pan or is it raw?

Sounds like a good low calorie recipe for my ongoing real food ND journey!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Yep, me too.. How can home made be from a pataks jar??? -lol...

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Enclave. Is the cauli cooked at all before adding to the pan or is it raw?

Sounds like a good low calorie recipe for my ongoing real food ND journey!
No she just picked out the bits that had blood on ...and added it to the veg and infused spices ..its chopped as small as rice so took only a min to cook ..she's is one of these cooks that is tasting all the time ..she just nibble a bit of the collie and said yum ..then dished up

Suzysuze1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Materialism
This is fab. I can't wait to try it.
Just wondering does anybody manage to eat brown/basmati/wild rice without bad effects? If so which?

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat almost one tablespoon of brown cooked rice .. Without problems ... But that's not enough to make a biryani ...

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too, not worth it really.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just as I feared..
Don't fear ..you soon get used to not eating rice ..and then the collie rice will be super..must add I am not keen on just straight collie rice ..as it just tastes of collieflower and I like collieflower so rather eat it in big slices. But I was saying to the wife the other night how much I missed her biryani ..so without telling me she made this one ...for a good few mins I was not sure if it was white rice ...but as I had watched her make it and helped apply the plaster to her thumb I know it was not rice...my meter confirmed this as well !

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's gone in my recipe book, thanks.
Will get you a photo next time it's made ..it looked as good as it tasted :snaphappy:
This is as are most of her meals her own recipe .. I know some recipes say put tomatoes in it ... But she will not do that .. She says it's not right to add them :sour:

Reactions: 3 people