Help with rising glucose level

shabso80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I need some advice please? I took 7 units of novorapid for my dinner this evening, Bg was 8 pre dinner. Post dinner rose to 12.9, so I took a correction dose of 1 unit 3 hours after dinner. Checked an hour later and gone up to 13.9, half an hour later to 14.9 and another half hour later up to 15.3! Should I take another correction dose, it's nearly 2 hours since the last one. I've checked for ketones and it's at 4.0?

Too scared to go to sleep at such a high level, please help!

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do you think you have some infection or feeling a bit unwell? If your levels are 15 you definitely need some more insulin. Take a new pen just in case the current one is faulty. Drink plenty of water to get rid of ketones. I cant remember now if 4 is alarming. Im sure there will be someone soon to advice

shabso80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, thanks for replying. I've just checked and below 0.6 reason for ketones is normal, however I am concerned about my levels rising. I do not feel unwell.

shabso80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ive been told 1 units corrects by 3mmol, should I take 1 or 2 units of novorapid, don't want to hypo during the night

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, thanks for replying. I've just checked and below 0.6 reason for ketones is normal, however I am concerned about my levels rising. I do not feel unwell.
Are your levels 0.4 or 4.0? Just checked, above 3 is high

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, check for ketones. That's what you should be concerned. What did you have for dinner? Sometimes, high fat/protein meals will raise sugar levels much later

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe your insulin has gone off. Are the blood sugar and ketones still rising? Have you been drinking water to help reduce them?

If so, it looks like you need a further correction but use a different cartridge in case the insulin is the culprit. Drink plenty of water too.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ketones reading is 0.4
Youre fine then. Its difficult to advice as nobody really likes blousing at bed time. I can tell you what I would do. I would bolus and set alarm to check my levels in about 2h. Use new pen

shabso80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just checked BG again and it's come down to 13.9, think I'll leave the correction dose and go to bed as don't want to risk hypo. Thanks so much for replying, I really got scared there for a while :-(

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm the same tonight.. Mackeral salad.. 15g and a bolus n rose to 13.5 from 5.4 in 2 hours!!!
Can't figure it out. Although not hot, insulin pens kept in coolbag for the few hours out today..with an icepack. Pens in a case. Only had 3 days of insulin out of cartridges..
No rhyme or reason for this tonight at all.

Just waiting another hour to test again after correction...

shabso80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's crazy isn't it? Just when you think things are going well something else happens and you've got more to learn! Hope your results are better in an hour

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just gone higher!!

Unfortunately not at my house tonight!! And no spare insulin here!! Looking after dogs n house for customer n one dog in vet overnight, no car as its in for its MOT tomorrow...

Frustrating!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've found there are days where I am just insulin resistant. I've been looking for a pattern and I haven't yet found one. I wondered whether it was food related, but that doesn't seem to have a clear correlation either. What I've found is that I'll go from one day to the next with the same vial of insulin and totally different insulin responses, then the day after it pops back to normal. Very frustrating.

Reactions: 4 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you managed to get your BG to come down @shabso

I would agree with above and try changing your insulin if you can. Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same thing happened to me yesterday. It was very strange. Had 4 units of NovoRapid before dinner and panicked thinking it was too much given the meal I had prepared. However, 2 hours later I was randomly at 9mmol and rising! 2 x 1 unit correction shots later and I was eventually back down to 5mmol at midnight. Incredibly weird given that 3 units usually covers me spot on for this particular meal....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Are we all back normal this morn??- lol!! (Until bolusing??!!)

shabso80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I was on 8.3 this morning, took 4 units for my toast and Costa which took me up to 11.3 two hours later?!
Then I had some watermelon, didn't take any insulin and down to 8.3 after an hour!

shabso80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same situation as yesterday, took 8 units of novorapid for dinner (83g carbs). Used a new pen! Two hours after BG is 11.3??! Really don't understand why the insulin isn't working??!