New to the forum was diagnosed before christmas

Caitriona

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just found this on facebook so im a newbie x but was diagnosed in late october. Still gettin used to having type too. Im only on 2 metophage 500mg daily x hope it stays that way x i havnt talked to anybody about been diagnosed only to my husband and family and they dont have it so its hard for them to understand what i can do eat & drink im tryin my very best but have alot of other health problems so been diabetic dont help but its the path ivr been given. My husband is great. He dont eat or drink things i cant have so i dont get tempted he is very good and so understanding xx This is my 1st post and just read up on hypos and done the test got 95% so i have a good bit of understanding of them.
Caitriona

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Caitriona , and welcome to forum, you have certainly come to the right place for help & support.

Firstly I will Tag @daisy1 who will come along with a lot of very useful information we give to all newcomers.

Just to say for type 2s Hypos are not usually a problem.

Are you able to say what your figures were when you were diagnosed i.e. your HbA1c.

Neil

Reactions: 3 people

Caitriona

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you when they done bloods in hospital my sugars were over 24 very dangerous they said so gp set me up with the testing kit and tablets x hyops ive been havin a problem with coz ive a lot of health problems and 1 since last summer is eating i was only able to snack on small things if they stayed down that was great havnt eaten an actual meal since then. In feb it got very bad i was even throwing up my snacks and in may couldnt keep water down and was severley dehidrated so was admitted to hispital. My sugars were dropping to 2 or spike to 20 with no food or fluids in me. Now that im home im still not able to eat a meal and have very bad days that im throwin up all day and have a day that i can eat a yogurt and maybe a ham sandwich in the evening im still indroducing differeng foods some stay down but alot more come back up and im finding things that are staying down are not very good for a diabetic but i do be just happy i keep something down. Same fluid wise when diagnosed went off fizzy drinks hate plain water so was on suagar free volvic water strawberry but becoz of vomiting it up so much have got sick of it so tried diet 7up or 7up free sick of them too so now im on diluted orange and so far so good. I take 15 tablets at nite and 12 during the day and cant swallow with water i loved coke and can take my tablets with it so no more big cans just mini ones i take my tablets with them but dont finish the mini can. But because of throwing up so much i have been craving things drinks i never drank before like the past 2 weeks i have a can of club lemon or fanta i know i shudnt but im just happy to get fluids in me that stay down so havnt been testing my blood as much coz im afraid it will be high becoz of the drink but im lucky it stays down. Im still dehidrated coz im still not able to drink much thru out the day. Im on morphine patch 50mg and morphine tabs 10mg 4 times daily and muscle relaxers etc just so i can get out of bed ive a neurological condition and so my other health problems so becoming diabetic dont help and with vomiting so much im eating white bread because i can keep a ham sandwich down and having a fizzy drink during the day i know i shudnt. But is there any other drinks out there type 2 can have that wont send sugars mad other than the ones ive mentioned.

Sorry for the long post its ne explaining what im going thru and just need a little bit of help
Caitriona

Caitriona

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Caitriona , and welcome to forum, you have certainly come to the right place for help & support.

Firstly I will Tag @daisy1 who will come along with a lot of very useful information we give to all newcomers.

Just to say for type 2s Hypos are not usually a problem.

Are you able to say what your figures were when you were diagnosed i.e. your HbA1c.

Neil

Thank you Neil.
All i know is when i done the fasting test with lucosade my sugars were over 24. I dont know what HbA1c means. I dont go to a diabetic clinic my gp does blood tests to keep an eye on my diabetes. And gave me a testing kit and information on type 2. Im still not sure of alot and the words etc ye use like HbA1c??

Caitriona

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, we've met before! :)
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hello-from-caitriona.79408/
Hope you're getting to grips with your diabetes.

Have we met before??

I know im diagnosed since late october but with all my other health complications im still gettin used to been diabetic and with my tummy problems sugars are a bit all over the place. Im getting another endoscopy done the 20th ive had 2 others done since 2010 ive always suffered with my tummy but this is the worst its been and trying to get it sorted has been a long road hopefully by the end of july i might have answers and get it sorted some bit better x then i can concentrate on my diabetes better. And get to grips with it and learn more about it.

Caitriona.

C

catherinecherub

@DeejayR was referring to another thread of yours where he contributed rather than seeing you in person. @daisy1 did give you the basic information on your previous thread..

This list of abbreviations should help.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-jargon.html

If you like fizzy drinks then buy sparkling water and add lemon/lime/cucumber slices to it or a small amount of no sugar squash.

Leave the white bread alone and buy one with a lower carb content. Burger soya and linseed is popular.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Diet is your highest priority and that means a low-carb diet. That includes all carbs as well as sugar. Avoid any drinks with sugar or fructose in them; only have fruit drinks which use artificial sweeteners or water of course. You other conditions may make your overall sitaution difficult but I can't imagine most conditions being affected by a low-carb diet. Proteins, fats and veg are OK unless one of your conditions says otherwise

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Caitriona

Hello again Caitriona. I am repeating this information so you can have this thread complete. Ask all the questions you need to and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Caitriona

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DeejayR was referring to another thread of yours where he contributed rather than seeing you in person. @daisy1 did give you the basic information on your previous thread..

If you like fizzy drinks then buy sparkling water and add lemon/lime/cucumber slices to it or a small amount of no sugar squash.

Leave the white bread alone and buy one with a lower carb content. Burger soya and linseed is popular.

Oh i know not in person i thought on facebook or something else.

I dont like sparkling water but cud try those suggestions in still water thank you they might help with having other choices. At the momemt i am using no added sugar miwadi orange or ribena toothkind no added sugar. Ive tested my sugars after both and they were fine. But been so sick im craving sugar drinks so i have 1 a day it kicks starts me drinking diluted orange.

Yes i got the information thank you.

Caitriona.

Caitriona

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Ive tried brown bread wholemeal wholegrain and others but cant keep those breads down. I do try getting the low carb white bread.

Whats burger soya???
Also linseed??

Regards.
Caitriona

Caitriona

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome. Diet is your highest priority and that means a low-carb diet. That includes all carbs as well as sugar. Avoid any drinks with sugar or fructose in them; only have fruit drinks which use artificial sweeteners or water of course. You other conditions may make your overall sitaution difficult but I can't imagine most conditions being affected by a low-carb diet. Proteins, fats and veg are OK unless one of your conditions says otherwise

Hi and thank you. Everybody is very nice that has got onto me with help and ideas. Yes i have alot of health problems the list too long to start.

But with diet its very hard to stick with the good things for diabetics because of my tummy. I still vomit almost every day but have days where i can keep a yogurt down which is low in sugar etc but its the white bread ham sandwich which is not good i know but ive introduced alot of food and they havnt stayed down white bread ham sandwich stays down i dont know why!! Im limited diet wise with what stays down ive tried so manh other things but the vomiting isnt good for me so i stick to what stays down untill tummy is sorted some bit!!
Ive suffered with my tummy since i was paralysed from chest down in 2004. Treatment was iv steroids same with asthma when sick and get steroid injections in my shoulders and back and they do send sugars mad so can only get them now every 3 months pain wise but when i have a neurological relapse treatment is iv steroids and asthma so if i get both together they cant do anything but give them to me.

Caitriona

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Catriona sorry you have such a lot of problems to cope with and eating is very difficult for you so as you say at the moment it is whatever stays down I am sure one white bread ham sandwich is not going to do you any harm and you do mostly try to keep to low sugar drinks Keeping any food and drink inside you is what is important at the present time so trying a diet at this stage is just not feasible Hopefully they will find out why you vomit so much and can treat it for you

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You seem to be doing your best. Yes, steroids are a big problem for diabetics and I have no solution for that.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The one bad habit I cant give up us my fizzy drinks, im fine with everything else though. Are you drinking diet fizzy or normal.

Caitriona

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Catriona sorry you have such a lot of problems to cope with and eating is very difficult for you so as you say at the moment it is whatever stays down I am sure one white bread ham sandwich is not going to do you any harm and you do mostly try to keep to low sugar drinks Keeping any food and drink inside you is what is important at the present time so trying a diet at this stage is just not feasible Hopefully they will find out why you vomit so much and can treat it for you

Awh thank you the past year & a half has been tough its one thing after another and yes adding my tummy into the mix hasnt been great x yes sticking to anything i eat low sugars carbs & calories. My tummy has been bad for years but this year by far has been the worst. As i said it got so bad ended up in hospital. So my husband and i are just happy i keep something down. All i eat is a snack (yogurt low sugar) in the morning or some fruit and if i can manage it i have a ham sandwich in the evening. So not eatin any meals too heavy on tummy still so not getting all my nutrients and my hair is falling out and skin very bad and dried usually when my hair is falling out i need my b12 injections but its good so mite try some vitimans but on 15 tablets at nite and 12 during the day tough going on a bad tummy specially morphine etc so am on maxalon daily and a tummy liner xx yes i do hope tummy gets sorted too very soon i cant keep goin on this way doctors are concerned too because of not eating much i dont have as much energy and sugars go as low as 2 or as high as 18 to 20 with no food or fluids and with my pain etc everyday is a struggle x

Thank you for your kind words.
Caitriona

Caitriona

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The one bad habit I cant give up us my fizzy drinks, im fine with everything else though. Are you drinking diet fizzy or normal.

Yes i have a mini coke at nite 150ml and the morning for tablets during the day i try taking tablets with other drinks but it can be very hard so just take a sup of something fizzy if my husband has something and stick to sugar free diluted or volvic strawberry water sugar free xx

Caitriona xx

Caitriona

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You seem to be doing your best. Yes, steroids are a big problem for diabetics and I have no solution for that.

Thank you. I am tryin as hard as i can but everyday is differnt had a bad day yesterday was gettin sick no matter what i tried to eat so hopefully today will be better all the vomiting & empty reaching is hurting all my body tummy ribs and back on top of my neurological condition chronic pain and so on xx

Caitriona

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. I am tryin as hard as i can but everyday is differnt had a bad day yesterday was gettin sick no matter what i tried to eat so hopefully today will be better all the vomiting & empty reaching is hurting all my body tummy ribs and back on top of my neurological condition chronic pain and so on xx

Yes unfortunatly they are very bad thats part of the reason im diabetic ive been border line for couple of years but once finished dose of steroids sugars went normal again but this time they didnt because had a relapse with my neurological condition thats a few weeks on very hige dose of iv treatment everytime and if i get sick with asthma and often did while on iv drip for my relapse that was oral too since 2004 for neurological condition and asthma all my life i can get sick up to 5 times a yr somethimes more. And for my chronic pain every 3 months i get steroid injections now too in my shoulders and back along with botox injections to relax muscles in my back so ya alot of steroids most of my life plus diabetes is on both sides of my parents family xx

Tough going !!! :-(