FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After reading many posts about the Libre, I couldn't decide whether it would be suitable for me or not.

I have a very dry sensitive skin so was put off by the posts showing bad reactions to the sensors. I eventually decided to go on the "waiting list" and decide what to do when I got the long awaited e-mail. Then I decided I'd go for it and maybe I'd be lucky and not react to the sensor.

I was then put off by the posts about skin being torn off when removing the sensor. That just seemed too much . . . but it doesn't happen to everyone.

I've been waiting over 3 months now and expect to wait at least another month before I get the e-mail. I'll probably go ahead with it but it's a lot of money to waste if it's no use to me. Is there any problem passing on the Libre to someone else? Would they be able to order sensors even though they didn't buy the Libre themselves?

You can pass it on (or, at least, others have), but you have to get the details changed with Abbott so that they can get the support etc.

I have the skin reaction and have not been without other problems, but I can honestly say that the Libre has changed my life. I'd definitely be inclined to give it a go if I were you!

Reactions: 2 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I've put my replacement sensor on today and put Opsite tape over it.

When I went out running (again not very intense, not very sweaty) the sensor began to peel away. The only thing holding it on was the Opsite.

This is ridiculous - these things are not fit for purpose.

If you can't even do moderate exercise with it what is it good for?!

There has been some talk about Abott changing the stickiness of the sensor and if this is true they have just destroyed their product as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone else feeling this way?

Best

Dillinger

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The first link basically warns that certain sensor batches have been giving incorrect readings and should be reported to Abbott. Courtesy of google translate!

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I tried Duoderm Extra Thin this time round. It's been 2 days and it's already peeling and looking grotty and gross and my skin is itchy too. The sensor fired through really easily given how thin it is but I'll definitely be going back to Compeed next time, even with the added risk that the sensor doesn't fire through. With Compeed I know I can have a week with no worries and then I cover with Opsite for the second week and it's always been fine and very secure. Stays much tidier too as the Compeed doesn't tend to peel at the edges.

Not sure what I did this time but the area around the sensor is constantly aching and it feels like the skin is being "pulled", not sure I'll last the two weeks at this rate.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Not sure what I did this time but the area around the sensor is constantly aching and it feels like the skin is being "pulled", not sure I'll last the two weeks at this rate.
For me this has happened when I've gone into muscle, not just subcutaneous fat.

63% of people have had a skin reaction...Abbott really need to hurry up with their investigations. It's not acceptable for so many people to be having issues.
63% of those who have responded to the survey have had an issue. That's not the same as 63% have had an issue. If you look at the numbers on the various polls I've seen on Facebook and on here, the number of respondents is very small compared to the user population, so I suspect that that number is really fewer than 5% of the user population that have responded negatively to the poll. (The sample size is 88 and 55 have said they had a reaction).

Unfortunately online polls such as this one and the one on the forum have a selection bias to those who have had a problem and are looking for an answer.

Reactions: 6 people

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
63% of those who have responded to the survey have had an issue. That's not the same as 63% have had an issue. If you look at the numbers on the various polls I've seen on Facebook and on here, the number of respondents is very small compared to the user population, so I suspect that that number is really fewer than 5% of the user population that have responded negatively to the poll. (The sample size is 88 and 55 have said they had a reaction).

Unfortunately online polls such as this one and the one on the forum have a selection bias to those who have had a problem and are looking for an answer.
Yes; obviously. It's still indicative of a wider problem, though.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
On a slightly different note, but still in relation to Libre use, a couple of comments on a facebook group earlier led to me thinking about using the Libre and parental involvement in diabetes care for young adults.

The basics were that a mother was scanning her 18.5 year old daughter at night to make sure she wasn't going low so she could sleep properly, as she also had some level of impaired hypo awareness. Another young adult also expressed an opinion that this was something that she felt was beneficial too.

Whilst I understand the reasons for it, at 18.5 years old I had been living away from home for six months and had been managing my control myself for a couple of years.

Do you think that the ability to do this that is provided by CGM and Libre is good for young adults in their development and ability to stand on their own two feet? My own opinion is that it ties children to someone looking after them long beyond when they should really be taking responsibility for their own diabetes. Is this really something that requires a different topic relating to when it is appropriate for parents to hand responsibility for their own care over to their T1 child?

JBlaza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, traffic fumes
So on the whole would you recommend this product? I am thinking of trying it but obviously no point if it won't stay stuck during exercise. Are there people on here using it and not having problems?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
So on the whole would you recommend this product? I am thinking of trying it but obviously no point if it won't stay stuck during exercise. Are there people on here using it and not having problems?
A number of us have been using it for more than six months and are still going strong. The only times I've had issues with non-sticking sensors were:
  1. When I positioned it badly on my arm so it was on a point of curvature
  2. After doing exercise that involved huge amounts of sweating in excess heat, when the temperature outside was in excess of 30 celsius.
I weight train 3 days a week and cardio twice a week and have not had issues with stickiness in the normal run of exercise, and I sweat like a pig.

Yes, I recommend it. Wholeheartedly.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've put my replacement sensor on today and put Opsite tape over it.

When I went out running (again not very intense, not very sweaty) the sensor began to peel away. The only thing holding it on was the Opsite.

This is ridiculous - these things are not fit for purpose.

If you can't even do moderate exercise with it what is it good for?!

There has been some talk about Abott changing the stickiness of the sensor and if this is true they have just destroyed their product as far as I'm concerned.

Anyone else feeling this way?

Best

Dillinger
My last three have definitely been less sticky. My current one is 2 days old and already lifting. They stuck so well before it was much better

Reactions: 4 people

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Arms are becoming less sticky-able I think :bookworm:

Braving my next one in prague, let's see how it copes.

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know how to edit or delete old notes? The software on the reader seems very dated and impractical.

Thanks

Reactions: 2 people