Help with rising glucose level

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
What were levels pre dinner?

If rises 2-3 hours then that indicates bolus not enough but will depend how much it comes down by at 4-5 hours...

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My insulin 'wasn't working' on Sunday, had BG of 12 most of the day which was unusual and worrying. Woke on Monday to migraine and sickness, only managed to stagger out of bed late today. It's a frustrating old business, sometimes! And another thing: try applying the sick day rules when you feel like that! :rolleyes: :(:banghead:

shabso80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it dropped to 8.3 before bed. Spoke to the clinic today, they've advised not to be too concerned about what BG levels are 2 hours after my meal as long as they've dropped to normal at the time of my next meal

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes it dropped to 8.3 before bed. Spoke to the clinic today, they've advised not to be too concerned about what BG levels are 2 hours after my meal as long as they've dropped to normal at the time of my next meal

Doing tests even for a type 1 2 hours after a meal our levels should not rise more than 2.8 .
The larger the swings the more damage that can happen to eyes...
I had background retinopathy pre pump for a couple of years. On the pump I could get my levels not to swing at all and the background retinopathy totally disappeared for 4 years. So I can definitely say eliminating seings in levels and keeping the rises to less than 2.8 as much as possible helps.
To me if I get swings 2-3 hours after my meal I adjust my bolus.
Its not just long term higher levels that damage eyes but fluctuations lower or higher than 2.8 from your pre meals.

Glad it dropped to 8.3.

How has today been for you?

shabso80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Doing tests even for a type 1 2 hours after a meal our levels should not rise more than 2.8 .
The larger the swings the more damage that can happen to eyes...
I had background retinopathy pre pump for a couple of years. On the pump I could get my levels not to swing at all and the background retinopathy totally disappeared for 4 years. So I can definitely say eliminating seings in levels and keeping the rises to less than 2.8 as much as possible helps.
To me if I get swings 2-3 hours after my meal I adjust my bolus.
Its not just long term higher levels that damage eyes but fluctuations lower or higher than 2.8 from your pre meals.

Glad it dropped to 8.3.

How has today been for you?
Thanks for the advice. I'm really confused now, if I take 8 units for 80g carbs and the swing is more than 2.8 two hours later, will I not hypo if I take more than 8 units?

Today went like this:
fasting level was 8.3, been advised to increase my levemir to get this below 7.
Two hours after bkfast was 12.9,
4 hours after bkfast down to 7.5,
Before dinner was 5.7
2 hours after dinner 13.3

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
On levels like yours I would be doing the opposite as your levels dropped pre dinner indicating that your levemir is too high. You are high after meals so I personally if it was me -I would lower levemir and raise the bolus's.

However, as your nurse has suggested the opposite then I guess you have to follow her advice and see what happens.
No way should your levels jump by 8 points 2 hours after dinner. Was this an accurate dosage or guestimate for the dinner bolus?

shabso80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This was an accurate dosage using the carbs and cals app. The nurse has told me to increase levemir by 1 unit every 3 days until fasting level is below 7

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the advice. I'm really confused now, if I take 8 units for 80g carbs and the swing is more than 2.8 two hours later, will I not hypo if I take more than 8 units?

Today went like this:
fasting level was 8.3, been advised to increase my levemir to get this below 7.
Two hours after bkfast was 12.9,
4 hours after bkfast down to 7.5,
Before dinner was 5.7
2 hours after dinner 13.3
Donnelly's Dogs is right, and so are you. Your BS should not swing. You want it as flat as possible, but if it is high 2 hours after eating and you keep on dropping, there are several possibilities. One is that your bolus is right for the carbs consumed but that you are not TIMING your bolus right. You may need to take your bolus ten, twenty, thirty minutes, etc earlier before eating to get it right. The other is that you are timing it right, but your bolus is not enough for your carbs, and so the reason you are high after two hours but nevertheless you keep dropping on a gradual slope down to the next meal (that is the drop continues for four hours or more) is because your basal insulin is bringing your BG down. It isn't supposed to do that. It's just supposed to keep your BG steady.

Reactions: 4 people

shabso80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
At the moment I'm taking 12 units of levemir at bed time. My fasting levels have been between 8 & 9 mmol but my diabetic nurse has said it should be below 7

shabso80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have an appointment with the dietician next week. Hoping I'll learn more about the timings of bolus!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just as an FYI, the majority of diabetic hcps think you should bolus with fast acting no more than ten minutes before a meal. Those of us who have used CGMs have found that 30mins is more realistic.

TanyaEmily

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,
i found with my daughter that type of food is extremely important for bg after meal. Especially when she became intolerant for some. Try food diary to see if it makes difference if you have toast or oats for breakfast. It might be different with children though. :)

shabso80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just as an FYI, the majority of diabetic hcps think you should bolus with fast acting no more than ten minutes before a meal. Those of us who have used CGMs have found that 30mins is more realistic.
What is CGMs? Sorry I'm new to this..