Ketosis, need help understanding

Pepsi Max

I'm having difficulty understanding the ketosis' state in order to burn fat...I have a meter that measures my ketones but I've always been told to keep it low, 0.4 low! And anything higher is dangerous! While doing LCHF my keytones never go above 0.2 which I think is why I never lose weight with this diet... Please explain to me about the ketosis, how I can achieve the desired state to lose weight without endangering myself!!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ketosis is what happens when you're on a (very) low carbohydrate/high(er) fat diet, and your body switches to burning fat for energy instead of carbs. It's quite natural and safe, and is not the same as ketoacidosis, which is very dangerous, can happen to (mainly type 1) diabetics when they are very low on insulin and have both very high blood glucose and very high ketone levels. So as long as your levels are OK, you don't need to worry. However, if you're on insulin, you may need to adjust your dosage, so you should check about this either with low carbing type 1s here on the forum, or with your diabetes doctor or nurse.

You possibly need to use one of the low carb nutritional calculators, to check whether you're eating carbs, fat and protein in the correct proportions, and few enough calories that you will lose weight. Have a look here, or search on Google for other versions.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

silverbirch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Pasha, so am I right in thinking that as long as you inject your B/I, you don't have to inject Q/A, (because you are not eating carbs), you WON'T go into ketoacidosis.

Reactions: 2 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Pasha, so am I right in thinking that as long as you inject your B/I, you don't have to inject Q/A, (because you are not eating carbs), you WON'T go into ketoacidosis.
Generally, YES. As long as your basal is correct and you eat enough low carb.

But everyone is different so monitor your levels and adjust your basal if needed.

DKA (ketoacidosis) is a state of insulin starvation, not carb starvation.

Reactions: 4 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Just now come across your question. Luckily PaulinaB has already answered , and just as well, because I am not T1

Pepsi Max

Thank you everyone! I am type 1 & I think that is why DKA was drilled into me as dangerous! So as long as my BG are good it's ok for my ketones is raise while doing LCHF ...

jgordon5

can I ask what Q/A is please? I have type 1 but I've never been told to test my ketones! Even though for some of the time I was ricocheting between 1.6 And 28. :eek:

Pepsi Max

Q/A is your quick acting insulin & B/I is your background or long acting insulin...when I was diagnosed I was given a stern talk on DKA especially to test when ill or stressed