Hey Hey. Parent of Type2.

bwoo1978

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
My daughter was recently diagnozed type 2. She's 5. Just joining the forum to better understand it all and tips and tricks more experienced parents would have. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. You may want to look at the T1 and parents forums for more targetted advice. Do let us have any questions.

C

catherinecherub

Hi @bwoo1978 and welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us what led up to the diagnosis of Type 2?
5 years old seems very young for Type2.

bwoo1978

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @bwoo1978 and welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us what led up to the diagnosis of Type 2?
5 years old seems very young for Type2.

Constant head aches for the past 3 months, fatigue, she could eat and eat alot of food and kept losing weight.

Both her grandmothers have diabetes, but neither my wife nor I do and I'm sad to say I didn't pay more attention to my mother's condition growing up. She kept it fairly secret in many ways.

My wives mother suggested we take her in asap, and yep... what we feared! Her health really declined fast a little after her 5 birthday.

Ever since diagnosis its been much better for her as we atleast now have an idea what's going on.

Galen1595

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As you may already know, type 2 diabetes used to be called adult onset diabetes because it was thought only adults could get it. Within the last 10 or so years however we had to stop calling it that because of cases like your daughter. This is important because it means there isn't much known about type 2 diabetes in children; there just hasn't been enough time. Don't be surprised if doctors don't have all the answers. Please ask anything you'd like of the diabetes community we are here to help, and of course eat healthy! :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
So sorry to hear of your child having diabetes. Could you tell us what medication she take's. My little granddaughter was diagnosed with Type 1 when she was 2 1/2 years old, it's so sad when children get diabetes, but most do seem to cope well with it, my granddaughter injects herself now, under supervision.

All the very best for the future,

Best wishes RRB