JoyceGlasgow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi,
I was diagnosed type 2 at the start of April 2015 BG of 29.7 this did not come as a complete shock as there had been warning signs, drinking a lot of fluid which went straight through me also muddled fuzzy head. I am being treated for a chronic rare lung condition (COP /BOOP) the medication for this is long term steroids. I have been put on metformin and gliclazide for my diabetes. Since being diagnosed I have tied to cut out sugar as best I can and have lost 14lbs in weight, would and need to loose another 2 but hate using scales prefer to go by my clothes. Recently I have become obsessed with food at breakfast I am thinking of what I can have for lunch then at lunch what I can have at tea time and then at tea time what I can have before I go to bed.

Is this normal? is there other people who are finding the same and if so how are you dealing with such thoughts.

Your help and ideas are much appreciated.
:cat:

Reactions: 2 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Definitely finding it all obsessional - I was also fairly recently diagnosed T2 (in May). But I see this as a stage of getting used to a very new way of life, one where I can't afford to have the casual attitude to food I've had up till now. I'd say I'm the same as regards exercise now, too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you sit yourself down and do a meal plan for the whole week, then stick to it? I find a week's forward planning makes life so much easier and I don't have to think "what should I have for tea tonight?"

Reactions: 4 people

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, having just one or two things I eat for breakfast and lunch (which is often a packed lunch) is making two-thirds of the planning and shopping easier.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's a phase most find passes.

I also found planning for around a week at a time helped a lot, in that I knew I had x, y and z available to eat within the next 7 days (or whatever), so would only be choosing from the available options. I found the constant deciding tiring.

I can't speak for Blue, but in planning our week, I only planned the meals (and thereby shopping), not exactly when they would be eaten. I didn't go as far as "it's Wednesday, therefore it must be x food". I couldn't have coped with that, and that felt a step too far for me.

C

catherinecherub

Hi,
I was diagnosed type 2 at the start of April 2015 BG of 29.7 this did not come as a complete shock as there had been warning signs, drinking a lot of fluid which went straight through me also muddled fuzzy head. I am being treated for a chronic rare lung condition (COP /BOOP) the medication for this is long term steroids. I have been put on metformin and gliclazide for my diabetes. Since being diagnosed I have tied to cut out sugar as best I can and have lost 14lbs in weight, would and need to loose another 2 but hate using scales prefer to go by my clothes. Recently I have become obsessed with food at breakfast I am thinking of what I can have for lunch then at lunch what I can have at tea time and then at tea time what I can have before I go to bed.

Is this normal? is there other people who are finding the same and if so how are you dealing with such thoughts.

Your help and ideas are much appreciated.
:cat:

Steroids are part of the problem as they increase your appetite so although you may be eating the best possible diet for you to manage your diabetes, food is always on your mind. You have a double whammy as it is early days yet in your journey and as food is the biggest factor in diabetes control, it does get to you as I am sure others will tell you.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Short answer: yes. At bedtime I'm thinking about breakfast. In mitigation I'm in charge of the food for both of us, growing/harvesting or buying, preparing, preserving, cooking, with Mrs DeeJay in and out by day and in the evenings, so there is a schedule to be worked out. But I admit I'm a bit of a glutton. Also, food is so interesting now.
Also, not to be melodramatic, it may be a matter of life and death. Certainly a life better or worse.

JoyceGlasgow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi All,
JenniferW,Bluetit1802,Andbreathe,Catherinecherub and DeejayR
Can I just say how grateful I am that you have taken the time to get back to me. I was beginning to think that I was going of my head but I think I need to learn that I should be controlling my diabetes and not the other way around as I can't believe how obsessional I have become about it but I suppose it is still early days never classed my self as a control freak but don't like not being in contol of this disease.
I have started swimming again which I am strangely enjoying.

I will certainly be taking on board your tips and advice. I have just returned to work after being off for 10 months so I think it will be good to plan my meals for a week at time and see how I get on.

Once again thanks to all
Have a good weekend

Joyce :)

Reactions: 5 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to do this sometimes before I was diagnosed as type 2, but since going on a low carb, higher fat diet I've found that eating more fat and less carbs keep me feeling full and keeps my mind off wanting my next meal for the most part. Knowing that I have some Lindt dark chocolate or other suitable small low carb high fat snack type food available if needs be tends to keep me on track. So what I do now is try to eat a diet that should be sustainable for me long term.

Years ago I did go on a very low calorie diet, and I was constantly starving hungry and desperate for food. To avoid temptation (my husband was working away at the time) I kept everything out of the house except for my week's meals, and I remember once I actually considered eating the dog's biscuits, my need for food was that desperate! :wideyed::p And at the end of it I swore never again!

Robbity

Reactions: 8 people

JoyceGlasgow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi Robbity,
Trying to keep low carb but I really like my bread. Have not been snacking in-between meals don't want to start as think that I may not stop lol I have surprised myself at how I have managed to give up sweets and crisps. It gives me hope that I am not alone and that maybe I should try lchf way of life before I think about eating the cat biscuits. !!
Thanks your reply is appreciated. Take care.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is specific foods you are craving - and if they are carb foods - then you may be experiencing the dreaded 'carb cravings'.

If so, the only long term answer that i know is to cut the carbs progressively until the cravings disappear.

In the short term, i can kill a craving dead with a combination of fat and protein. For instance a piece of cheese, a spoonful of peanut butter, or a coffee with cream. Unfortunately, this may impact your weight loss, until you find your new balance.

Good luck.

JoyceGlasgow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi, Brunneria

Thanks for this I am open to suggestions and at the moment my weight is not going down but the fact that I have had to increase my steroids does not help. I will stock up on cheese. I hope you are keeping well.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another good option is to make your own low carb alternatives. If you are craving bread there are lots of low carb bread recipes out there. I eat LCHF and I was struggling as the rest of the family still eats whatever they like but by looking on Pinterest I have found some really delicious recipes so I don't feel like I'm deprived of anything anymore, if I want a sweet treat I just have to grab a piece of baking out of the freezer and pop it in the microwave. I find when I bake now I actually have to make my LC version for myself and a normal version for the rest of the family so they don't eat mine.

JoyceGlasgow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi 4ratbags

Thanks I will have a look on Pinterest and get my apron on and get baking maybe that way I will be able to curb any cravings. Don't really want this to take over my life but at the moment feels like the nature of the beast.
Your comments are appreciated, thanks stay well.

Moosepig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes, people who think they know everything!
Hi 4ratbags

Thanks I will have a look on Pinterest and get my apron on and get baking maybe that way I will be able to curb any cravings. Don't really want this to take over my life but at the moment feels like the nature of the beast.
Your comments are appreciated, thanks stay well.
I empathise with your feelings and symptoms. I cant do LCHF as I have no gall bladder and cant cope with much fat, but in my baking I almost follow normal recipes except I substitute almond flour or wholemeal flour for ordinary white/self raising, use xylitol instead of sugar and use a poly/monounsaturated soft fat instead of butter/marg. It seems to work for me as I don't get spikes - give it a try, good luck

JoyceGlasgow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi
Thanks for your advice I also have no gall bladder and was not sure if the LCHF is the way for me to go. I have been trying to eat sensibly and exercise by walking and swimming think getting frustrated as I lost a stone in 3 months but the weight has not changed in 3 weeks. But then again Rome was not built in a day and the weight piked on over a number of months/ years, and this diabetes is all new so will take a while to get me head around. Thanks for taking the time to answer me. I hope you keep well.
Joyce

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I gave up smoking nearly 10 years ago, like many others I put on weight. I gradually changed my habits, including diet and exercise but I did find myself becoming more food obsessed. I do most of the cooking so I am always thinking of what to have for the next meal, what to have tomorrow and so on. As I often make up or adapt recipes I'll run these through my mind. I don't think its too much of a bad thing as I for one don't have cravings with it.

JoyceGlasgow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi Jon Lee, thanks for letting me know how you coped as others like you have suggested recipes I have started to cook again from scratch and have found that my obsession about my next meal is not quite so strong. Thanks for your input. I hope you keep well. Joyce

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're cooking from scratch, I think it shifts the focus from what can I EAT, to how will I put these INGREDIENTS together!

Maybe some obsessions are more helpful than others. If I lose one, I soon find another!