Pregnancy with a pump?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My sister is type 1 and I'm asking on behalf of her as she's not on the forum

That's good of you Oliver, hopefully a pumper will be along to help, I'm on injections. There is a pregnancy thread going, so maybe one of the new mum's has posted about pumps and pregnancy ?

All the best RRB :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lots of ladies use a pump in pregnancy as it can help get better control, which is very important.

I had my pump before pregnancy so just carried on using it. I didn't have any problems at all with it during pregnancy. In fact, it made it easier to adjust my insulin. I also kept it on in labour.

Is there anything specific worrying your sister?

Reactions: 2 people

Madelinelowery

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on pens before I feel pregnant, the once I was I got a pump through a trial I did & it's helped me control my diabetes brilliantly! I personally wouldn't have gotten such a good hba1c with a pump.

I absolutely love it, and luckily I get to keep it

Xx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
azure: "Lots of ladies use a pump in pregnancy as it can help get better control, which is very important.

I had my pump before pregnancy so just carried on using it. I didn't have any problems at all with it during pregnancy. In fact, it made it easier to adjust my insulin. I also kept it on in labour.

Is there anything specific worrying your sister?"

Did your Hba1c have to be at a certain target?

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, there's a target HbA1C before you get pregnant. This varies slightly from doctor to doctor. But is usually something like a max of 7.5 or less.

In pregnancy, the target is basically to keep your blood sugar as tightly controlled as possible. My last HbA1C in pregnancy was 4.7.

The (hopefully) low HbA1C comes from keeping your blood sugar very tightly controlled. Your sister should be given targets eg less than 6.0 before meals and less than 7.8 two hours after meals. So in pregnancy 4s and 5s are ideal, with 6s and 7s after meals. These are very strict targets and take a lot of work

Please feel free to ask any more questions :)