GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
Hi,
I'm still new to testing and I struggle to get enough blood out to fill my strips. I wash my hands in decently hot water to get the temperature up but it can still take a few attempts. Does anyone have any other tips for better blood flow?

Thanks in advance

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
What about massaging them whilst washing and drying, or giving your hands and fingers a shake down to get the blood flowing ? Or take it from another part of your body possibly ? Some people have a good blood flow, I normally do, and I get a nice big drop, maybe a little too much sometimes.
Wishing you all the best, RRB

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Most blood letters or prickers can be adjusted for the depth of stab, so if you are unable to get a large enough sample you may need to adjust your pricker to allow a deeper stab, worth a try, I find just about midway is about right for me but we are all different and individual prickers can be different too.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What finger pricking device are you using? I find a good one of those makes all the difference.

Also, use the sides of your fingers and try your ring finger or little finger as they're usually softer.

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
It's from SD and came as part of the Codefree kit. I've no idea if it's a good one or not! I've got it set to maximum. I'll try the shaking and massaging and see if that improves things.

Thanks all.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I own an SD and the lancet gadget works fine. A little bit of a hair trigger but you get used to it. I switch between that one and the Abbott one according to which meter i am using. I don't think the pricker is at fault unless you haven't adjusted it properly.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's from SD and came as part of the Codefree kit. I've no idea if it's a good one or not! I've got it set to maximum. I'll try the shaking and massaging and see if that improves things.

Thanks all.
I found the Codefree one an evil little git that made holes that bled like stuck pigs lol....confined it to the bin and got a painless one. You could try putting an elastic band around your finger ( not too tight obviously) ....that would force the blood to the tip of your finger and make it easier to get a sample..or just apply pressure with your thumb at the end of the finger you are using which achieves the same result

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I found the Codefree one an evil little git that made holes that bled like stuck pigs lol....confined it to the bin and got a painless one. You could try putting an elastic band around your finger ( not too tight obviously) ....that would force the blood to the tip of your finger and make it easier to get a sample..or just apply pressure with your thumb at the end of the finger you are using which achieves the same result

What is this painless blood letter of which you speak????? my fingers hurt dagnamit and I would love not to be reminded of my diabetes when pouring a glass of wine....

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is this painless blood letter of which you speak????? my fingers hurt dagnamit and I would love not to be reminded of my diabetes when pouring a glass of wine....
@Gravity-Carb It's the Accu-Chek Fastclix..........much less painful than the Codefree one. Using the Codefree my fingers were so sore I could have cried. The Fastclix is far better and it is all but pain free...half the time I don't feel anything at all and when I do, which is usually when the lancet needs changing, the prick is hardly painful...you are just aware it needs changing

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahh I have this fast click and alas I still feel it. To be able to draw blood I need it on at least 3.5, 4 is better but leaves bruises. I am hoping drinking more will have not only a great affect on my bg but also on the blood letting....
Thank you though.

Carolyn_Lesley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find if I squeeze my finger a little first then squeeze the blood out it gets more blood and I use a lower click level.

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I find if I squeeze my finger a little first then squeeze the blood out it gets more blood and I use a lower click level.

Ahhhaaa! I shall try this.
Also I've found drinking adequate water means the shy bleeder is a lot bolder.