HBA 1C

fingerspete

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
back in December i had a HBA 1C of 50 just a few months ago i went on to gluten free foods had my blood test last week and was told my HBA 1C is now down to 38 if anyone is struggling why not see if gluten free can work for you to .... im still on my meds but things look good

Reactions: 13 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
back in December i had a HBA 1C of 50 just a few months ago i went on to gluten free foods had my blood test last week and was told my HBA 1C is now down to 38 if anyone is struggling why not see if gluten free can work for you to .... im still on my meds but things look good
Well done sounds like it is working for you

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Thats realy good,well done.
It took me a year to get down from 58 to 44 on a lower carb diet.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I didn't see this thread before and want to add my congratulations for your success.

I've been on a gluten/grain free version of LCHF since June 2012 and the change in my health (especially my SIBO/IBS) has been enormous. I'd recommend grain free to anyone who suffers from any symptoms they can't explain. Until you try an elimination diet, you'll never know if it can help you.

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for sharing and very well done. :) Don't forget to keep letting us know your progress.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, that is an excellent reduction. You must be delighted, and hopefully you will be able to reduce/come off your meds. Has this been discussed? :)

fingerspete

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
they have not said about taking me off meds yet im back in at the end of september will just take it as it comes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
they have not said about taking me off meds yet im back in at the end of september will just take it as it comes

If it is your aim to come off meds, then maybe bring the subject up at your next appointment? Do you have any weight to lose? If so, Metformin should be helping a little with that.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Its better if it comes off slowly, I think it is more likely to stay off that way. Well done by the way, definitely discuss coming off yours meds at your next Drs appointment as you seem to be on the right track. I eat LCHF but I will have a look into gluten free as well.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Gluten free, sugar free, carb free...it's all good!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Its better if it comes off slowly, I think it is more likely to stay off that way.
I disagree with that statement. For me slow and steady doesn't work. It may for you but I focus and do and then I get bored and stop without significant progress. Therefore the weightloss has to be rapid and show, almost, daily measurable drops.

If you want to lose weight fast do it fast and if you have the patience you can do it slow. All I will add is that the longer you take the longer you live with the higher number ;)

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
I'm mostly gluten free....good to hear it might help. I find I'm less hot with gluten free foods. I often get a hot sweaty reaction to gluten. Cornmeal -polenta and grits- are a complete nono however... shame as it's a fave food.

fingerspete

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm mostly gluten free....good to hear it might help. I find I'm less hot with gluten free foods. I often get a hot sweaty reaction to gluten. Cornmeal -polenta and grits- are a complete nono however... shame as it's a fave food.
i get a sweaty reaction when ever i eat gluten free or not its like the body craves sugar all the time

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@fingerspete - just out of idle curiosity how would you say that your gluten free diet differs from a very low carb one? I've not touched bread, flour, cereals. etc since I started on a low carb diet but never actually though of it as gluten free as such . I appreciate that someone who is actually gluten intolerant or coeliac may have to be absolutely scrupulous in avoiding gluten anywhere in any form, but do you also go to these "extremes" or just avoid grains, etc?

Robbity

fingerspete

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@fingerspete - just out of idle curiosity how would you say that your gluten free diet differs from a very low carb one? I've not touched bread, flour, cereals. etc since I started on a low carb diet but never actually though of it as gluten free as such . I appreciate that someone who is actually gluten intolerant or coeliac may have to be absolutely scrupulous in avoiding gluten anywhere in any form, but do you also go to these "extremes" or just avoid grains, etc?

Robbity
i try to keep off all gluten and wheat i still do have some carbs in form of rice but i also watch portion size as well i east gluten free bread and pasta

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Well done, great to hear about your improvement. I have gone gluten free in the past and I lost weight and reduced my HbA1c, but I think this was due to reducing overall carbs. Since going back to gluten my HbA1c has not increased, I am still low carbing. Whatever works for you and doesn't cause other issues, I say. :)