Reactive Hypoglycaemia

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have stopped the statins with doctors agreement.
Since stopping a couple of days ago, I feel better already!
Just to say that my blood tests, were showing normal levels for everything they tested. Liver function, kidney function, fatty liver, hba1c.
It's really does make me happy and more determined to carry on with my lifestyle!

Woohoo! :):rolleyes:
Way to go Nosher8355:-D
Excellent report, fingers crossed as I have my next major blood check tomorrow, hope to have good news next week:-o
Take care:)

Reactions: 2 people

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks @MosheBenYehuda

Hope you're goes well!

How are you coping?
Better than I expected, even though quite regimental, but my wife us very supportive, actually has joined me into LCHF, which makes life much easier. Levels constantly around 5 so hopefully good results to come. Your kind interest is much valued:)

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's very good, mate !
The pleasure is all mine, glad I can help!

Do you feel better for low carbing?
Do you have the extra energy or are you still coming to terms with it?

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's very good, mate !
The pleasure is all mine, glad I can help!

Do you feel better for low carbing?
Do you have the extra energy or are you still coming to terms with it?
Quite well actually, still hungry at times, but learning the small details. And I feel much better, thanks to nearly 10 kg lost since end of May:-D

Reactions: 7 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have stopped the statins with doctors agreement.
Since stopping a couple of days ago, I feel better already!
Just to say that my blood tests, were showing normal levels for everything they tested. Liver function, kidney function, fatty liver, hba1c.
It's really does make me happy and more determined to carry on with my lifestyle!

Woohoo! :):rolleyes:
Thanks @Brunneria, have done, three bottles, two teas, and a diet coke!!
Had salt with both meals, had salty bacon for tea, think I'm just knackered!!
One day to go long weekend.
I just looked at the side effects from the statins but I don't think so, we'll see, if it continues tomorrow, I will stop the statins and fast, to see how I do!
I'll probably be ok in the morning!
Just haven't felt like this since the hypo I had on my OGTT.
Thanks for suggesting that, best wishes,
Nosher
Hi @nosher8355 glad you've come off the statins and are feeling better as a result - I was on Pravostatins and experienced similar symptoms such as dizziness which was why I stopped taking them - also had a double whammy in that they increased my BS.

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @nosher8355 glad you've come off the statins and are feeling better as a result - I was on Pravostatins and experienced similar symptoms such as dizziness which was why I stopped taking them - also had a double whammy in that they increased my BS.
I am so confused about how and why would consultants keep prescribing statins, when it is clearly know to CAUSE diabetes :-/
The "proof" about their efficiency in reducing CVD is so controversial, that a full fledged return to Aspirin would be much more beneficial.
That's what I did, and I hope for the better :)

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am so confused about how and why would consultants keep prescribing statins, when it is clearly know to CAUSE diabetes :-/
The "proof" about their efficiency in reducing CVD is so controversial, that a full fledged return to Aspirin would be much more beneficial.

Sadly, it is simply a case of follow the money.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have been taking 75mg for the past twenty years!

More to do with families past history of heart problems!

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been taking 75mg for the past twenty years!

More to do with families past history of heart problems!
Aspirin, I guess ;-)
Been taking it for over 20 years as well, mainly because of my back problems, but much higher dose.
Had to swap with paracetamol based painkillers for a while, but reverted to it because it's the only thing which really works...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Aspirin, I guess ;-)
Been taking it for over 20 years as well, mainly because of my back problems, but much higher dose.
Had to swap with paracetamol based painkillers for a while, but reverted to it because it's the only thing which really works...
Other than aspirin, which I don't take as painkillers!
I have been advised by my endocrinologist, that i should only take paracetamol for painkillers or colds, flu, etc.
As all the others contain stuff that I can't take or would raise my blood glucose levels!
He told me this, without asking.

Edu616

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there I am struggling badly with RH. I was diagnosed on 2010 with it and been trying a lot of stuff from low carbs to a little more carbas and some times low carb would work but other times it just doesn't. I can't exercise not even a little because my glucose level will drop. Is so frustating, I am always stressed and can focus like I used too. I can't sleep well and will wake in the middle of the night with low blood sugar. Right now my diet is mostly veggies like broccoli, cauliflower cabbage, all with fat and good sources of protein. I have to eat eevery 2 hours or esle I will feel sick. For snack I try to eat some protein bars mainly fron almonds and peanuts. I also have turkey jerkeys with cheese and 1 or two carrots. I have tried almost anything but I just never seem to get better. Any help please I am really desperate.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi there I am struggling badly with RH. I was diagnosed on 2010 with it and been trying a lot of stuff from low carbs to a little more carbas and some times low carb would work but other times it just doesn't. I can't exercise not even a little because my glucose level will drop. Is so frustating, I am always stressed and can focus like I used too. I can't sleep well and will wake in the middle of the night with low blood sugar. Right now my diet is mostly veggies like broccoli, cauliflower cabbage, all with fat and good sources of protein. I have to eat eevery 2 hours or esle I will feel sick. For snack I try to eat some protein bars mainly fron almonds and peanuts. I also have turkey jerkeys with cheese and 1 or two carrots. I have tried almost anything but I just never seem to get better. Any help please I am really desperate.
Hi @Edu616
I feel for you.
I do know how you feel!
If you have an endocrinologist, please get in touch with him.
There's nowt wrong with your eating and to tweak it a little, maybe adding more natural fats, lowering your carbs even more, if you can!
There is hidden sugars in dairy maybe, are you drinking full fat milk or cream?
You need to slow your digestion down, full fat yoghurt does that for me.
Have you got a meter?
Protein bars I would stop eating. If you have to eat every two hours maybe you have to.
Reduce your carrots, as too many is the same, as potatoes, too many carbs.

I try to stay in control, staying in normal blood glucose levels to feel good. I have found being in ketosis is the only way I can live a normal life.

Test. Test, test! See what you can eat! Get rid of those you can't

All the anxiety and brain fuzz Is due to the symptoms of RH.

Exercise for you is difficult. There is always something you can do. A little bit more housework, even doing more when sitting down. Try and keep busy.
Even eating little and often during doing something is better than waiting to see what happens.

Hope this helps.

Keep posting, let us know how you are doing.
Be patient and take it easy, I know how frustrating it is!

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi, and welcome!

I have found that carrots arent great for my bg. Which really ticks me off, but there you go. These things are sent to try us!

When you say 'with fat' how much are you talking?
I find fat and protein as major stabilisers to my bg. And it took some serious mental adjustment for me to get my head around quite how much i need for it to work properly!

My breakthrough was when we went out for dinner to a steak place and i really splurged. 16 oz steak, veg, onions and a cream sauce. My goodness i felt fab. My bg stayed rock steady until the next afternoon.

Now, obviously that isnt for every day!!! But try using that principle for a day or two, and see if it helps. Just add cheese on top of your veg, cream to your coffee, and a low carb dessert with cream and see if it helps.

Reactions: 5 people

MosheBenYehuda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Edu,

About the same story as Nosher and Bruneria,
I can't have any root veg, cereal, starchy, sugary products etc.
Any food's label cannot exceed 5% of carbs, otherwise I feel nauseous and bloated.
Even too much protein causes problems, eg chicken.
But I discovered some beans and pulses provide an acceptable source of energy, eg yesterday I had baked beans, but strained the sauce and heated with stock, same with stuffed cabage...
I can have lots of oily fish, untrimmed meats, butter, full fat cheese, eggs, Greek/Turkish yogs, blueberry, but I test after each new item to adjust my levels
I have sometimes 1, max 2 slices of Warburton Gluten Free toast a day, as a third one was too much...
Switched off ALL sweeteners, and have found that double cream, with just a tsp of whole milk in coffee or tea has enhanced my beverage experience to an unbelievable stage of tasting the real thing instead of sugar/sweetener distortions, and after a couple of weeks your test budds will get used to the new taste.
You'll have to test quite often in order to figure out exactly what and how much of a food item works for you.
And please do not despair, we all went through this, some of us like myself still do, but the support on this forum and thread is extraordinary.
Keep in touch, and you'll see the difference.
Take care,

Moshe

Reactions: 8 people

Edu616

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Edu616
I feel for you.
I do know how you feel!
If you have an endocrinologist, please get in touch with him.
There's nowt wrong with your eating and to tweak it a little, maybe adding more natural fats, lowering your carbs even more, if you can!
There is hidden sugars in dairy maybe, are you drinking full fat milk or cream?
You need to slow your digestion down, full fat yoghurt does that for me.
Have you got a meter?
Protein bars I would stop eating. If you have to eat every two hours maybe you have to.
Reduce your carrots, as too many is the same, as potatoes, too many carbs.

I try to stay in control, staying in normal blood glucose levels to feel good. I have found being in ketosis is the only way I can live a normal life.

Test. Test, test! See what you can eat! Get rid of those you can't

All the anxiety and brain fuzz Is due to the symptoms of RH.

Exercise for you is difficult. There is always something you can do. A little bit more housework, even doing more when sitting down. Try and keep busy.
Even eating little and often during doing something is better than waiting to see what happens.

Hope this helps.

Keep posting, let us know how you are doing.
Be patient and take it easy, I know how frustrating it is!

Hi thanks for the reply, I currently don't use any kind of milk. I do have a meter and I test my self. Can you please give an example of things to eat for breakfast and before sleep? I know we are all different and maybe what works for you is not what works, for me but I am curious to see what do you eat during your day. I recently moved to another country and don't have an endocrinologist I already made an appointment with one but it cannot see me until September. Even last night I was feeling terrible and could not sleep, is just stressful. Thanks and I hope to read more of your diet. Oh and before I go do you take any supplements?

Edu616

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi to all that replayed to me. Thanks all for sharing your experiences and methods I will try reducing a little my carbs, my problem with that is that I will feel bad for a couple of days since my body is used to what I eat right now, but I still feel sick. I reamember like Brunneria said I tried something similar at a restaurant and felt good too. So I'll do my best to change little by little and see how it goes. I'll keep you guys posted. And thanks again. In another notice, before I had RH O used to drink a lot of coffee, but now I don't seem to tolarate it at all I just feel sick whenever I have it.