Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
Hi Jue 88

That's a good question.

Generally I believe a fasting level of anything below 6, rising to no more than 7.8 2 hours after a meal is where I like to see my numbers.

My diabetes nurse told me anything in single figures is fine, but I think that is rather slack.

Personally I tend not to feel so good if I go into the low 4s, but many are fine with that.

I am type 2, following LCHF and on Metformin and it took me many weeks to get into the range I like to be in when I was first diagnosed.

You will also see fluctuations which can be a bit dispiriting but its the overall trend which is important.

HTH

Tim

Reactions: 6 people

pmtbrew

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
My targets are similar to Tim55. Your ideal levels should be individual based on what level of risk is acceptable (I believe blood levels should be low enough for the risks to be the same as a non diabetic).

I believe NHS guidelines are too high and literature suggests the risk of complications are minimal for Tims thresholds

Reactions: 4 people

jue 88

hi,,thank you for all info......interesting what tim55 says about going into low 4's,,as that's what i was wondering,Hubby rarely checks his levels "only if he is feeling a bit off".....last night,he checked them 4.8 and said,"thats the problem,they are too low"...ate food,,,checked again,couple of hours later,,13.8........and seemed much happier.
i was just wondering,,if in the 4's was actually a bit low for some folk.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In your hubby's case I would be much happier with a 4.8 than a 13.8. We should aim to be no higher than the 7.8 at any time, and at 2 hours preferably a lot less. The peak time for spikes is generally speaking between 30 minutes and 90 minutes, depending on the content of the meal, the degree of pancreas damage, medication, degree of insulin resistance and so on. 4.8 isn't low for most people. Non-diabetics run in the 4's most of the time other than after meals.

These are the NHS guidelines
Non diabetic - before meals between 4 and 5.9, after meals under 7.8.
Type 2s - before meals between 4 and 7, after meals under 8.5

However, most experts consider the "under 8.5" to be far too generous and suggest it is wise to aim for the non-diabetic levels.

jue 88

hi,,his levels are all over the place,more high then low..(probs because of his diet)...but when it highish,,it does not seem to bother him,,,as said before,he only checks them when feeling offish,,,,,and invariably they are in the 4's,,
so,,he should be between 4 and 8,5 depending on eating ?.......ideally no higher ?
thanks for all input,help and advice.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi,,thank you for all info......interesting what tim55 says about going into low 4's,,as that's what i was wondering,Hubby rarely checks his levels "only if he is feeling a bit off".....last night,he checked them 4.8 and said,"thats the problem,they are too low"...ate food,,,checked again,couple of hours later,,13.8........and seemed much happier.
i was just wondering,,if in the 4's was actually a bit low for some folk.
A level of 13.8 a couple of hours after food is way, way too high. 4.8, on the other hand, is perfectly normal, even 3.8 is normal. I aim for non-diabetic levels at all times and as long as I don't eat anything too carby I'm fine. At 13.8 I get very tired, slightly confused and get cramps in my hands.

There is something called false hypo. If the body has gotten used to high BG levels it will react as if normal BG is too low, does that make sense?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
He as Totto says is having false hypos probably.

He doesn't like the symptoms and is probably more comfortable at the higher levels.

Tell him to be patient as he will feel better soon, if he keeps his blood glucose levels down around 6.0

Reactions: 2 people

jue 88

hi thanks,and yes,it makes perfect sense.....i think he has got used to high levels..due to all the sweets and chocs he eats,,and i think a false hypo is probably the answer.
At least it makes some sense in my mind now.............if not his.
thanks again

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi thanks,and yes,it makes perfect sense.....i think he has got used to high levels..due to all the sweets and chocs he eats,,and i think a false hypo is probably the answer.
At least it makes some sense in my mind now.............if not his.
thanks again
Somebody once said on a similar topic to a worried partner, have a look into the life insurances. You may need it.

jue 88

that could have been to me, a while ago..............no,he wont do that either.....sadly,,,does not affect him,you see ?

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I average between 4.5 and 5.5 which I consider ideal.
If I go below 4 I feel confused and weak and jittery and unsure.
8 and above I consider to be in the range of causing nerve damage here there everywhere and anywhere.
Double figures and I drink loads of water and go and lie down.
The highs and lows are now thankfully rare.
Rare thanks to the advice I got on this site from my fellow diabolics.

Reactions: 8 people

jue 88

lucky are the people,that seek advise,and act upon it
unlucky,are the people ,that bury their head in the sand
even more unlucky,are the people that have to sit and watch
thank you all

Reactions: 5 people

Tim55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rap and hip - hop
HiJue88.

Your hubby and I have a lot in common it seems.

Only came home to me when I realised my fingers didn't work cos I couldn't fasten my shirt.

You are not the first to try and help a partner through it and I doubt you will be the last.

If he is anything like me he will need to do his own research and come to his own conclusions.

Hope be does so sooner rsooner rather than later.

Made it to Spain - hope this post makes it back!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@jue 88 ....can totally relate to all that you are saying....my partner seems to think that he should be running at higher levels...any reading below 10 and he tells me 'that is too low for me....that doesn't suit my body....' ...any reading about 10 and he says 'that's not bad'...
...is nothing I can say or do to argue the point as he is absolutely convinced that his body should run at these levels...any lower and he feels ill...was hoping the diabetic nurse could persuade him that his levels should be lower than this but no luck so far..

Hope your hubby manages to get it sorted out but I know how frustrating it can be sitting on the sidelines...

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Double figures can almost be a guarantee of nerve damage taking place as far as I'm concerned.
Eyes bladder feet wherever and possibly many places at once.
Having read this thread I'm thinking to myself .... is this where the term comfort eating comes from?
False hypos and a nice buzz off a carb/glucose high?
Drug addiction?

Reactions: 8 people

jue 88

thanks all again...can be very frustrating at times......not going to go into a huge amount of detail,but ,i think,he thinks,as long as he is taking the meds, thats all he has to do,and everything will be fine his diet is chronic,,,,but i have given up on that.
i also think he has been diabetic for a long time,but has never been picked up,,until a few years ago.
he has had the burning feet for about 30 years,and never connected it to diabetes,,ED,for quite a number of years now.
now he has started with cold numb feet,,and wounds taking a long time to heal,,,i also think he has sleep apnea..
I also think it has started to affect his brain,,and his reasoning..(this is a new worry,,and i am still at the "is it me,or is it him" stage ?)
which again is very difficult.....e.g.is it connected to diabetes,or is it something else......or is it me ??
he had tests earlier this year,for digestion problems,,excess wind,hiccups,bloated,sometimes vomiting.....and although the hospital have written back ,with results,diverticulitus,duodemitus,polyps in stomach,ect ect,............he has not been back to see doc to discuss any further.
so you see,it's all a bit of a mess.
but dont mention the docs.......cos he just wont go.
and i am no doc,,but have tried to do a bit of research......as a partner,can you do too much ?,,,,when your other half solves all his own problems,,with a bar of chocolate,and a DVD ?
thanks for listening,and all your advise.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@jue 88 ....just to say once again I totally relate to all that you have just said...the numb feet (neuropathy also affecting his hands), the ED, the brain and memory problems....has also seen ENT about problems with throat and swallowing/ choking (refused medication and further investigations)....he has also had other appointments with doctors from orthopaedics and pain management but refuses to do any of the things they suggest deeming them too difficult or a waste of his time...

Many have said that I should just step back and let him get on with it as it is his body and his problem....I have to a certain extent but like you have done the research just to know for myself what the problems are and what the future may hold...

Just to say that there may be a glimmer of hope in that my partner is taking far more notice of his diabetes in terms of what he eats and by his choice has ditched potatoes and most bread....I know from seeing shopping receipts that some items are sneaking in but on the whole diet is much improved...it has taken a long time to get to this point and may be too little too late to prevent damage already caused but at least it shows that leopards can change their spots..

One final suggestion which is make sure that you find the right support for yourself ...whether that is from your GP, the diabetic nurse, this forum or someone else....it is important that you look after your own health and wellbeing in what can be very testing circumstances. Am happy to talk anytime and wish you all the best

jue 88

thank you so much Molly,for your understanding,,and pleased to know,it's not just me,tilting at windmills.
also good to know,stubborn diabetics,can change (a bit).
i,also step back most of the time,,as there are some things you can change.....and some you can't.
but occasionally,,i get swept up ,in the chaotic rollercoater,of life with a diabetic.
do you find it is like living with the 7 dwarfs ? grumpy,sleepy,confused,childish,hungry,even more grumpy,and awkward ?
i am keeping an eye on the "not thinking straight" issues......but dont really know whats in store with all that.
when i step back,i switch off,,so dont need support.......but times like this when i am on edge,i use the forum.
thanks again