Living high. Type1.

michaelreid89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

So I an now 13 month's type 1; and after my first year of being diabetic - I am really struggling to try and keep my levels within range. If I was to wager a guess I'd say that my levels are now on average between 12-16 each day.

I tried for the first while to keep my levels around the 7 mark - however due to my 'previous' love of running 3-4 times a week, I was close to averaging a hypo 50% of the time I went out! So now, I barely exercise and constantly have the fear of my levels being normal of anticipation of having a hypo while doing everyday activities.

I even somehow managed to wake up in a 'hypo mode' this morning for the first time (feeling perfectly fine before going to bed last night) and now 4 hours after getting up I still feel horrid with a killer headache I can't seen to shake....

Within the past 2 months or so I'm even getting to a stage I consistently get annoyed by doing my Insulin and get aggressive upon the subject getting brought up. To think now being diagnosed over a year and with a minimum of 4 injections a day - at least 1,500 I've now injected myself (I know it's not a lot in comparison to those longer diagnosed... Sorry) but the thought of doing another each time is also really getting me down. I tried speaking to my diabetic nurse about it, but I generally feel these nothing worse than someone attempting to be sympathetic that has no idea how it feels as never going through it themselves.

To be honest, I don't really know what I'm looking for here - I don't know; Maybe if someone can give a tip or two that's been there themselves would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Michael
sorry to hear you are feeling so down about the D -- hang in there it does get better -- we all go through periods of doubt , depression , anger etc.
I am not a runner but I am tagging a couple of people on the forum who do -- they should be able to offer some support on getting you back to what you love doing !! @ElyDave , @Bebo321

all the best

Reactions: 6 people

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Giving up exercise can affect your mood (the reduction in serotonin levels can cause depression).

Did you try reducing insulin before/after exercising? It takes a lot of trial and error but the hypos do stop when you get it right.

You're probably going through diabetes burnout. Lots go through it but do get over it.

Try getting back to doing regular exercise which will make you feel better in more ways than one. Other runners will be able to give you tips on avoiding hypos - what works for me, when dancing, probably won't suit you. Just remember, everyone is different and it will take time to get it right.

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As T1 for 15 years, I suggest you not to drop exercising. You should, instead, readjust your insulin intake according to your lifestyle.

First time I was diagnosed, put to a hospital for a few days to calibrate my insulin intake. Since I did not do any exercise and sat all day long, my bolus rate was higher than what I inject these days. I was having 80 units a day in total. Now, I rearranged my intake down to 12-14 units as I exercise everyday.

Don't lean on doctors, you are to be your own doctor. You can adjust your intake in time.

Reactions: 8 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. There are many T1s on the forum who exercise (even I do some at the gym). It's important to get the Basal right and then find the best Bolus ratio. Many have a carby snack before exercise. If you wake up in the hypo region then your Basal may be too high. I only typically have 3 injections per day. I cheat and only have 1 injection of Levemir at night and as my breakfast is low-carb I skip the breakfast Bolus; works fine for me.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You may get some practical advice at www.runsweet.com The site has been mentioned on here by a few people and is aimed at diabetics who do more exercise than me currently.

The thing I find when doing a lot is that I need less basal insulin for half a day afterwards, and I sometimes forget this.

Also be wary of exercising if your blood sugar is at the 15 and above level. It won't come down because there is insufficient insulin in you - it only goes up in my experience.

What I do is start by testing my levels, exercising for a fixed amount of time test again and note the drop. Do this several times and work out what activities use up what sugar in a known time frame. It's not 100% foolproof as adrenalin will raise my levels, but it's maybe a start. This does involve a lot of testing, remembering to wipe sweat off my hands, and finding that more blood has come out than I wanted.

Keep exercising if you enjoy it. Figure out why you're not controlling your diabetes or your diabetes controls you.

And ask questions even if you not sure what you want to know. Someone may point in the right direction.

Standard disclaimer: I'm just some bozo on the interweb, not a trained quack/nutritionalist. All ramblings to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Also, don't eat the salt.

Reactions: 4 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,

So I an now 13 month's type 1; and after my first year of being diabetic - I am really struggling to try and keep my levels within range. If I was to wager a guess I'd say that my levels are now on average between 12-16 each day.

I tried for the first while to keep my levels around the 7 mark - however due to my 'previous' love of running 3-4 times a week, I was close to averaging a hypo 50% of the time I went out! So now, I barely exercise and constantly have the fear of my levels being normal of anticipation of having a hypo while doing everyday activities.

I even somehow managed to wake up in a 'hypo mode' this morning for the first time (feeling perfectly fine before going to bed last night) and now 4 hours after getting up I still feel horrid with a killer headache I can't seen to shake....

Within the past 2 months or so I'm even getting to a stage I consistently get annoyed by doing my Insulin and get aggressive upon the subject getting brought up. To think now being diagnosed over a year and with a minimum of 4 injections a day - at least 1,500 I've now injected myself (I know it's not a lot in comparison to those longer diagnosed... Sorry) but the thought of doing another each time is also really getting me down. I tried speaking to my diabetic nurse about it, but I generally feel these nothing worse than someone attempting to be sympathetic that has no idea how it feels as never going through it themselves.

To be honest, I don't really know what I'm looking for here - I don't know; Maybe if someone can give a tip or two that's been there themselves would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael.

Hey Michael,

Sorry you're having a ****** time trying to manage your diabetes. The good news is that there is light at the end of the tunnel because leading an active lifestyle with D is absolutely 'doable'.
Some great advice above from the guys on the forum. What I would add to that is that you might want to curb your activity somewhat until you've really got a handle on your BGs, because as you've already discovered exercise can add a layer of complication which will add to your frustration.
Go and have a look at www.teambloodglucose.com and consider joining the 'Sporty Diabetic Type 1' FB group. Also have a watch of the movie below which will give you some of the basics you should know.

Where about are you based? If you are anywhere near Nottingham I know the TeamBG guys in the office would be glad to have you visit - they have loads of experience managing BGs with exercise and will be happy to spend time with you to share and hopefully throw some light on where things might be going wrong for you.
Alternatively look out one of the upcoming TeamBG activities and use it as an opportunity to meet others who you can share and learn from.
It might seem a long way off, but there is also the upcoming #gbdoc conference - crikey that sounds boring doesn't it but it's far from it! (www.gbdoc.co.uk) and really you should try to get along. The world feels a whole lot brighter when you know you're not alone.....(something you've probably already discovered after having posted here)

Hang on in there - you just need a bit of support and guidance and you'll get this nailed.