Fruit (gooseberry) crumble

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got a load of gooseberries in the garden which are quite sweet, I've never like goosegogs so was surprised they're so nice! I'm wondering about a crumble - does almond flour work ok in a crumble?

I'm going to try a gooseberry fool too, seen a recipe that uses greek yoghurt and double cream so will ty that one with xylitol. Does anyone have any suggestions for other recipes? Never cooked with them before!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to stew some gooseberries with rhubarb (I'm obsessed with rhubarb at the moment). Mine aren't sweet! :***:

I just lob the goosegogs and chopped rhubarb into my big frying pan, with a dribble of water.
Low heat, stirring gently, til everything is soft.
Seeten to taste (i use erythritol) and serve with yog or double cream.

:wacky:

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
There are recipes for nut crumble on the net, its a bit like a granola. Very tasty.

Jon Lee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Use porridge oats, either as they are or blitz some or all in a food processor. You may find that you need less butter/margarine than with flour (or more oats). Just rub the fat into the oats, stir in sugar substitute and cover the fruit. I prefer this to ordinary crumble.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Depends how you react to oats, they don't do me any favours. But gooseberries are great with or without a nut-based crumble.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We had some gooseberries given to us but they were not really ripe and were exceptionally sour. I cooked them with xylitol. I don't use sweetener as a rule but I bought it for the gooseberries so was not sure how much of it to use so I tipped it in until I thought they were sweet enough it was quite a lot but I obviously used to much and without going into details and will leave it to your imagination I will just say I couldn't leave the house for the following 24 hours and I will never use sweetener again

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Use porridge oats, either as they are or blitz some or all in a food processor. You may find that you need less butter/margarine than with flour (or more oats). Just rub the fat into the oats, stir in sugar substitute and cover the fruit. I prefer this to ordinary crumble.

Not tried oats since I discovered porridge sends my BG sky high!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Not tried oats since I discovered porridge sends my BG sky high!
Think you may struggle then. Why not google, I'm sure something will pop up.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
  • I can't eat nuts :(

Just did a quick google for you Rowan, bar the sugar this seems doable. Use butter instead of the coconut oil.

Topping
  • ½ c Coconut Flour
  • 1 c Coconut Flakes
  • ½ c Palm Sugar (Turbandino or other non-refined dry sugar, just not in liquid form)
  • ½ c Coconut Oil
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp Sea Salt

Reactions: 4 people