Konjac noodles

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been watching BBC2 food programme and they featured konjac noodles which are virtually carb free. Found some on Holland & Barratt website: http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/eat-water-slim-noodles-60007566
Has anyone tried them? Am thinking of giving them a go unless anyone has had experiences to persuade me otherwise!
I tried them and the various pasta versions....the most disgusting **** I have ever eaten. Okay if you like eating elastic bands

Reactions: 6 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
You have to rinse them loads of times to get rid of the fishy smell, but they are ok.

Reactions: 2 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Go in with low expectations and you might like them.... for the price they are so not worth it. However I did buy 2 packets of the noodles yesterday as they were 1/2 price in HB.

Rinse, Rinse, Rinse again. Add them at the last minute to just heat through as over cooking them will leave them chewy with an audible sound. Seriously. Think of over cooked calamari (if your able to eat such a food).

The only redeemable facet is that it can fill me up and fill in for those "what to make as I need to eat right now" moments.

Like I said, low expectations....

smag3

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors telling me that I probably know more than them
They really are disgusting. They smell of fish when you open the packet which does not make you want to eat them! I use courgette slices fried in coconut oil for a noodle substitute, works for me and tastes and smells lovely. Coconut oil is also half price in Holland and Barratt atm.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoy them regularly as a vehicle for a nice pasta sauce or stir-fry. They do not smell fishy - the fluid they're kept in does, but once you rinse that off there is no smell. The texture is not the same as durum wheat pasta, granted, but to me it's still edible and very useful when I don't want a taste of courgetti or shredded cabbage in my Bolognese or similar. The price is somewhat extortionate, so I tend to stock up when Holland & Barrett have their penny sale, which happens often.

Reactions: 4 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for your replies. Seems they aren't going to revolutionise my LC diet! I was thinking they may be useful for my upcoming very basic festivaling and camping touring holiday in a convenient Pot Noodle kind of way (not that I have ever had a Pot Noodle!). May chance a pack if on sale in H&B and follow Gravity-Carb's cooking advice. Thank you for setting the expectations low!

Last edited by a moderator:

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Give them a try and see for yourself. I eat them, I used to buy them many years ago before the hype for them in an asian food supermarket much cheaper than what is on sale now at H&B. The texture is not the same as pasta but they will fill you up. Once rinsed, they don't taste of much, so eating them with a bolognese is perfect. They are not a staple in my cupboard anymore but I eat them from time to time.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They gave me crippling pains in my tummy and left me bunged up, if you can get away with them though they are a good idea for camping.

Amethyst579

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Agree with the comment about elastic bands, very expensive too. Better and cheaper to have something like Cauliflower Rice.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not quite so easy to take cauliflower rice camping though, much as I love it!
Good point.....If I was faced with eating those noodles or sucking on dead slugs I would take the slugs....that's how gross I found them and there wouldn't be much difference between the slugs and noodles

Reactions: 8 people

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy them in supermarkets and on line when they are on offer and also the "rice" and "pasta".I don't mind them.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have these noodles occasionally, but coincidentally had half a pack yesterday and the remainder this evening, in a stir fry, Faux Singapore Noodles". It wasn't at all authentic, but the spices were right, with a little help from Tesco.

I can't think where I read it, but once I learned an extra step in their preparation, I enjoyed them more. They have no flavour, but just act as a decent carrier from time to time.

What I learned is that the noodles must be drained and rinsed until the fishy smell is gone, then drain in a colander. Then, heat a dry wok or frying pan until very hot. Tip the noodles (or "rice") into the dry pan and keep the noodles or rice moving as the water evaporates off. It seems to take ages, and it's certainly a few minutes, but when they are drier, they are much nicer whatever you do with them. In my Faux Singapore Noodles, they were coated with the oil and spices I cooked the veg and meat in, but it's not a wet dish, as it would be if it were a Vietnamese Pho dish, but it just makes it a bit more authentic.

I can't cope with a whole pack at one sitting or I end up with bloating and some other digestive discomfort.

Do try the dry frying though. It does make a difference.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, have bought a pack of 'barenaked' noodles as seen on Dragons Den, according to the pack. Will be taking them camping and trying for the first time. Can always eat the grass if they are that bad :eek:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These noodles, as well as the rice and pasta variants are in the Holland & Barrett Penny Sale from today. In other words, you pay full price for one pack, but can have a second pack for 1p.

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These noodles, as well as the rice and pasta variants are in the Holland & Barrett Penny Sale from today. In other words, you pay full price for one pack, but can have a second pack for 1p.
Ha ha, so have to eat 2 packs of things that have been compared to elastic bands and slugs! I get the impression H&B should be paying us to take them away:D

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
I tried them and the various pasta versions....the most disgusting **** I have ever eaten. Okay if you like eating elastic bands

Having seen how they made them, I think elastic bands will offer more enjoyment - and nutrients! :spitoutdummy:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Try getting a spiraliser instead and making courgette noodles. Sounds yucky but believe me they are absolutely the dogs wotsits when fried in butter and some pesto added at the end. There's so many tjings you can make with a spiraliser but I'm
Just hooked on courgettes at the moment.

I personally wouldn't waste my money on anything else.

Reactions: 6 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Try getting a spiraliser instead and making courgette noodles.

I personally wouldn't waste my money on anything else.

Hear hear @donnellysdogs !!

The muccus bought us one and we tried that out just very recently (in a Miso soup) - absolutely scrummylishious! :hungry: