Good carb ideas.....?

littlem1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,
Wondering if any of your more experienced diabetics have any advice for lil ol' me.
Although I don't experience hypos very often, as I try to be quite active as this helps with maintaining a healthy weight, and healthy blood sugars, I do find once I've had one hypo, I will have a couple of the next few days.
The problem with this, when it does occur is that I feel like I end up eating much more food than I normally would.
I treat my hypos with Jelly Babies, usually 5, as I prefer these to dextrose tablets, but the problem then comes with the 15g ish snack that has to come after. I want to ensure that I get my sugars back up and keep them there to try to avoid the hypos happening again, although I know some of this is about me slowing down a bit as it can take a while to fully recover from a hypo, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice around the post Jelly Baby snack?
I don't really want to be gobbling down biscuits or really unhealthy options, does anyone have any healthy(ish) suggestions for what I could eat afterwards that can also be easily accessible and carried around in a handbag or kept at work?
Perhaps I am asking too much but at the moment I end up eating cereal bars etc that are very high in sugar and usually saturated fats too. An obvious choice would probably be a banana but I already eat one every morning with my breakfast and another in the afternoon about 45 mins before I exercise, if working out that day.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I sometimes have a wholemeal digestive, a couple of crackers or a small piece of rye bread. The first two are easier to carry around and I have a little snack container I bought specially which fits in my bag. I also have cereal bars but not the horrible sugary ones, the more natural ones. I also use those as a top up when I'm hiking as they travel well.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I like Nairns Cheese Oatcakes if I need to follow up treating a hypo with a snack.

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
jacob's cream crackers are sometimes sold in a box separated in to mini packs of 2 crackers.
( check out your nearest big supermarket )
10.8 carbs per pack of 2 :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just have glucose tablets nearby and after that I go on to normal carby foods for a while.

Amsjadee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
sports, reading
I like Nairns Cheese Oatcakes if I need to follow up treating a hypo with a snack.
These are my favourite crackers. I would recommend crackers, cereal bars or maybe a small slice of toast. The toast I get is only 9g carb per slice.

asyarlk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like an Alpen light bar, 70kcal and 11g carb. I find they are good when I'm in the 4s as it brings me up and stays steady for hours.

littlem1987

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all, will have to try some of these out. I was under the impression that we are supposed to have 15g of longer acting carbs after the initial sugary treatment for a hypo, but you all seem to be suggesting snacks much below this?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all, will have to try some of these out. I was under the impression that we are supposed to have 15g of longer acting carbs after the initial sugary treatment for a hypo, but you all seem to be suggesting snacks much below this?

It depends on what you need personally, how bad that particular hypo was, what you're doing next, etc.

I'm on a pump so I don't have a big amount of insulin to counteract. Also, As long as I can test and am ok I prefer to have a small amount of carbs and then test again rather than eat more and go too high. I used to do that in the past and it led to a bit of a roller-coaster

Eat what you need to. You know what works best for you :)

Atalay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As the sugar level is important to get balanced, I prefer regular sugarcubes. Very cheap, pinpoints the problem and helps you keep away from extra fats and carbs. If you eat carbs or sweets or cakes, you get other nutritions that are not that healthy or needed for your body at that moment. Your choice, ofcourse. If you want carbs that help balancing blood sugar, try naturally baked potatoe chips.