insulin pump?

lenipenny

Hiya i was wondering is anyone could share their opinions on getting an insulin pump. I am considering it at the moment butiI'm a little scared (not that I could tell you why). Does it make as much difference to be control as I have been told. Is it comfortable? Does it get in the way?
Thanks peeps x

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I love love love mine! I was nervous too (think that's normal) but it's been nothing but a total godsend -- the flexibility you have with a pump is amazing: I literally feel like someone said: here's your life back! :)

As for comfort / getting in the way... Naturally there's a degree of having to rethink how you wear stuff -- but overall I'm really surprised at how easily I've adapted to that and, for me, the benefits far outway the occasional faf of thinking about where to put it... Hope that helps a little -- sure others will chip in with their thoughts soon :) x

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A pump does make a difference to bg control due to the fact that you can adjust your basal rate several times a day to match your bodies needs, plus the bolusing options on a pump are great as you can better deal with awkward meals like those that are high in fat.

Comfort wise I forget I'm wearing a pump sometimes and it certainly doesn't get in the way, I'm using a tubeless pump called Omnipod and much like @-Artemis- I love pumping insulin.

Reactions: 2 people

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm a tricky one, at times they can be a real pain.

e.g. Blocked sites, rapid onset of DKA. Constantly being tethered to something...

Positives.. Including corrections I was often taking seven to eight injections a day.. The pump felt great coming from that.

Fine tuned basal. I can do 48 hour fasts and keep my blood between 4mmol-6mmol. Wouldn't have been possible on MDI for me.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also overall tighter control and a reduction of 1.4% in HBa1c.

Great tools but you have to put the work in.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I love it. No injections. lots of monitoring but all good. You can take it off. I don't like putting cannula in my leg as I just pull it out.
I don't like pj's so it is loose in the bed but just rolls over with me no problems. You can disconnect it at times and mine is a vibe so is waterproof so I just wear it swimming.

lenipenny

That's all fantastic advice that you so much. I'm in serious need of better control of my bg. Are they easy to conceal? I'm not worried about day to day life. But when I dress up would I be able to hide it? I have a slim fitting wedding dress and wouldn't want it sticking out. Reading to all you people loving yours gives me a lot more confidence in getting one. My diabetes nurse says nothing but great things but it means a lot more coming from people who actuly have one. Thank you all so much

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
That's all fantastic advice that you so much. I'm in serious need of better control of my bg. Are they easy to conceal? I'm not worried about day to day life. But when I dress up would I be able to hide it? I have a slim fitting wedding dress and wouldn't want it sticking out. Reading to all you people loving yours gives me a lot more confidence in getting one. My diabetes nurse says nothing but great things but it means a lot more coming from people who actuly have one. Thank you all so much

With some creative thinking they are easily concealed.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Me and my sister are both type 1 I think it's easier to put out of the way on guys but my sis just clips it under her top to her bra